Spacing of Strawberries

homertheratApril 27, 2009

Hey, I'm planning on doing a 4x4 box just for strawberries. I was wondering if I should do just 1 per square or 4 per square. I want a lot of berries, so really I'm asking if 4 will survive in one square. They will be an everbearing variety if that matters. I don't want the runners to spread like crazy, and I heard everbearing varieties are better for that purpose.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snibb(Salt Lake City)

Homer...I planted 4 per square, and I get a ton of strawberries. But, I do clip the runners to keep the energy in the main plant. I cant really say that I have had the original plants in there the whole time. They have all been replaced at some time or another with one of those runners. I think you can see what it looks like on my photobucket page...

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 12:44PM
homertherat

Thanks snibb. What's the link to your photobucket? I'd like to take a look at them.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 2:02PM
snibb(Salt Lake City)

Homer..Im pretty sure its in there somewhere..take a look..

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm14/snobblet/

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 2:20PM
homertherat

Wow, those are huge snibb! Mine never get that big... They don't get much attention, so that might be the problem.

I'm definitely trying that out this year.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:33PM
rlkennerly(8)

We planted strawberry plants 4 per square earlier this year and plan on keeping the runners trimmed back. They're doing pretty good so far, but aren't nearly as nice and big as snibb's.

btw Your strawberries look great, snibb, so I'm gonna pick your brain. :) How do you keep them fed over the years? Surely the nutrients in the compost are tapped out eventually. Do you side dress them with new compost or fertilizer?

Does the chicken wire do a sufficient job of keeping the critters out? We've had a problem with something eating our strawberries and need to cover them.

Did you put straw in with your berries? We ended up doing that because the berries that touched the Mel's mix got all mushy and gross. Unfortunately we're having a problem with weeds now. I've also got quite a few leaves that have turned red. Any idea what might be causing that?

Thanks,

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™