Problems with butterfly bushes (buddleia davidii)

AiruisJuly 7, 2013

Hello,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with this. Last fall, I planted two small butterfly bushes in my southern exposure backyard in Mesa, Arizona. They were doing great, growing at a fast rate and flowering when spring came. However, as soon as the harsh heat of Arizona arrived early this summer, the flowers started dying, and the plants started wilting. I thought this might have been due to inadequate water (they each had 1 GPH drippers on them), so I bumped the drippers up to 2 GPH. I would leave the drippers on for about an hour and a half to two hours a few times a week. Increasing the dripper output didn't seem to help; in fact, the plants seemed to get worse. I called the nursery I bought the plants from to seek advice, and they told me they thought I was watering too much. So I cut the drippers down to a 0.5 GPH output. They still haven't gotten any better. Are Arizona summers simply too much for these plants? I read that they can take full sun, and they can grow in zones 5-9, so I thought they would be fine.

Should I try to shade the plants somehow? I fertilized them in late spring...don't know if I need to do that again.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Now you are still watering too OFTEN ... and too little each time. What does a soil moisture meter tell you?

The key to watering shrubs in AZ is to water deeply and seldom - for fall-planted shrubs their first summer, maybe twice a week, then a good soaking once a week the next summer.

Keep in mind that plant hardiness zones of the USDA are based on winter cold, not summer heat. Phoenix and Tampa FL are in the same USDA zone, and you know we can't grow the same things.

"Full sun" statements should be taken cautiously. Full sun in Connecticut is not the same as full sun in AZ.

If you like them, plant them where they can get afternoon shade, and monitor the water with a moisture meter.

If you just like the looks, consider Vitex. It's far more heat tolerant.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
Please HELP tree selection and questions?
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally start my gardening...
black-thumbs
I am new users here
I am new here. And i have a website about dell drivers...
jerfrank
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
Sponsored Products
Burns Ottoman - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Polaris 16 Ga Sink 2 Strainers 2 Grids
PLFixtures
16 Ga Sink Strainer Grid Cutting Board
PLFixtures
Juno Pro-Series 22 in. Black Under Cabinet Fluorescent UPF22-BL
$73.97 | Home Depot
Eastwood Leather Ottoman - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Poly Concepts Outdoor Planter - JPL-W
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Juno Pro-Series 12 in. Under Cabinet Fluorecent Black UPF12-BL
$63.97 | Home Depot
Hooker Furniture Sanctuary Two-Door Thin Display Curio Cabinet - Dune Multicolor
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™