Gardening with my preschooler

jodis231(usda 8)February 9, 2005

I will soon be gardening with my son for our first time ever! This is going to be a learning experience for the both of us. He is 4 years old and very smart. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciative to make this fun for both of us. Also I have a daughter that will be 1 this June.

Thank you

Jodi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilyroseviolet(Maine 4and 5)

My 6 year old homeschooler painted this picture of seeds to flower. He said it was a special flower that only took 3 days to grow!

I home school my 4 year old and 6 year old. They have been by me while I garden and I just let them do what they will and have fun, when they allow me, I try to sneak in as much about educating them in regards to what we are doing and why.

We like to find worms in the soil and the worms are our friends and they help us to make the plants strong and healthy!

Bookmark   February 9, 2005 at 9:06PM
GardeningFool_PA(SW PA)

Hi Lily,

I had a similiar expereince with my twin 7-year old girls last year. I went with a product called the garden pad (www.gardenpad.com), bought it from windowbox.com - cheaper than the other site. Anyway, it was pretty foolproof and the girls loved it so much I'm buying more this year.

Whatever you do will be fine, kids just enjoy being there with you - even if none of you know what's going on!!

Scott

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 7:05AM
jaco42(z5NEOhio)

Jodi- I have gardened with my son-who is 7 now since he was old enough to be outside in the dirt. The thing I found to be most important was to make sure it was fun for them.
Who cares if they put a plant in the wrong hole- you can always move it later when they are not looking. This has worked very well for me and now he is the one who asks me to go and work instead of me asking him.
Also try giving them a small area of their own out of the way where they can do what they want to make it their own "garden space"
Hope this helps you out

Jack

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Can anyone identify this plant???
I think it may be a chinese evergreen. I am obviously...
dragonlilly
help I am a new behaviorally and emotionally handicapped teacher
Hello, As my title explains, I am a new teacher of...
bellblue
Sunflower house
I originally posted this on the Garden Experiments...
samhain10
gardening pen pal?
I do not need any replies to this topic anymore. Thanks This...
Edlyn12
sunflower seed planting help!
So I planted sunflowers with my kids from the $1 buzzy...
chanale
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™