Request Pointing to Garden Resources

millerz1897February 13, 2009

Mahalo!

Long time lurker first time poster. I'm making what I believe to be the ultimate kids room from a large section of our basement. http://www.ultimatekidsroomdecor.com/

I've set aside the top center 8x8 foot area for projects that I will likely change as the children grow. One of the first projects I want to put in is a 4x4 indoor garden where they can fully participate in growing their own food.

Why inside? We are on a subdivision with heavy covenants and in the urban interface so growing outside is kinda difficult. Also, I would like to grow year round...

I have 2 questions...

1.) If I use led grow lights should I be concerned about UV or other issues potentially damaging the humans eyes or skin? (what I'm looking at now http://www.ledgrowlights.com

2.) do you have any suggestions or would you point me to some specific project I can use as a reference model?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

UV light is produced by natural light so no need to be concerned. Although, I would be concerned about the lumens produced by the LED light fixture. Plants need at least 3,000 at the leaf surface. Go to the 'Light Gardening' forum.

There are several site for young gardeners. Junior Master Gardner and Horticulture Magazine are two that come to mind. Good Luck.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Science fair project
I am a 5th grader working on a science fair project....
kayla47
Education to become a farmer?
I'm 19 years old and interested in sustainable agriculture....
jimbad05
help I am a new behaviorally and emotionally handicapped teacher
Hello, As my title explains, I am a new teacher of...
bellblue
pen pal ?
I know this is a little off topic, but my son, 10 (11...
stormy_weather
Fun Rainy Day Recycling Projects for Kids
I was going through my seed/plant catalogs today, trying...
annikasmommykate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™