Red Yucca (Blooming??)

fliebynightJuly 5, 2009

I have 3 red yucca's that are younger (smaller) and have not bloomed. I started looking around and have seen that some people that have owned the plant for years have yet to see a bloom. Has anyone else had this experience? Do they just need to mature in order to bloom or do some of them just not bloom? Thanks in advance! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peanut01(7VA)

I have a few of these plants. I purchase them and they were maybe about 2 years old when I got them and now they are 3.

Out of the 3 I planted...
1 - I gave to my Mom and she planted in a garden that became overgrown. She then removed it from that bed to more sun and it seems to be picking up.
2 - I planted in 6 hrs sun and it shot up an inflorescence a few months after planting then the inflorescence died down then I noticed 2 offsets on this one. It did not bloom this year but it is 3 plants now(I will divide soon)
3 - I planted next to #2 last year and it did nothing at all so I moved it wo a FULL FULL sun area that is dry too and raised bed. It shot its inflorescence up for me early May and it it still looking great now. It also has a baby.

Long story short. Either these bloom every other year(I am not sure if they are biennial). Or just need to establish. I do know that these plants like it very dry and very hot. Ever since I moved #3 last year it has thrived.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 4:23PM
lazy_gardens

If you mean Hesperaloe parviflora, they like full sun, good drainage, fairly little water, and hot summers.

If you keep dividing and moving them, the may never bloom.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 4:42PM
fliebynight

Thanks for the follow ups! I have mine in an area that is VERY dry and does get full sun so hopefully after they are established or sometime next year they will start to bloom. Being that they are new transplants, I am watering once a week to get them established but will probably cut that back to once every 2 weeks in the near future. Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 11:37AM
gardenlover25

I hope you can post a photo of your Red Yucca. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 12:55PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

they like to grow in a tight cluster of plants that comprise a large plant., so stop dividing them if you want them to look good and bloom lots of stalks.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Rsidential rock screen
HELP. I have an older home. I live in the high desert...
rodoehoho
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™