Dandelions

akpeacocMarch 31, 2003

My friend and I are completing an ecology study as to why dandelions grow at all. We were wondering if anybody knows the conditions that they prefer? I wold be very grateful if somebody could reply with the answer, thankyou

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beckyishere(6 IL)

They prefer growing where ever you dont want them! They will spread and grow and become so very happy the more you try to rid your yard of these! The more you complain, the healthier the plant. Becky

Bookmark   March 31, 2003 at 9:04AM
trudi_d

They thrive in well drained soil that is not rich in nitrogen.

Bookmark   April 1, 2003 at 7:32AM
nora_in_vancouver(8b Wet Coast)

They also grow in compacted soil that is not well-draining. Dandelions are not fussy and will grow just about anywhere, so they are not very useful as "indicator" weeds. They are opportunists that just need a little bare dirt. They create more bare dirt by spreading their large shady leaves close to the soil, to shade out any competition.

There are many other weeds that are better indicators of soil and growing conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Using Weeds as Indicators of Environmental Conditions

Bookmark   April 1, 2003 at 1:55PM
elledive(Z5 IL)

I'm going to start a new tradition with my children. Dandelions are a tap root and grow deep down soaking up rich nutrients. They are GREAT for the compost pile. Send your kids out as if it were an Easter Egg hunt. The more dandelions the pick, the better off your compost pile will be. Not to mention, your kids are going to have a blast.

Bookmark   April 18, 2003 at 12:02PM
rob333

Dandelions grow in my fast draining and deeply boggy soil. One bed is greatly amended and the other is not amended, right against the house and limey soil. One is sunny and one gets sun about two or three hours out of the day. So every condition, every way.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 23, 2003 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
Fun Rainy Day Recycling Projects for Kids
I was going through my seed/plant catalogs today, trying...
annikasmommykate
whoops ! avo seed placed wrong way
Hi this little avo was placed in the water upside down,...
roksee
help I am a new behaviorally and emotionally handicapped teacher
Hello, As my title explains, I am a new teacher of...
bellblue
Possible roots?
I opened up this avocado yesterday and it was like...
cynjrana
Gopher eradication in school garden
I am wondering what your feelings are on this issue....
azherbboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™