Cottage Garden in Southern California?

ddoudAugust 13, 2012

I am new to San Diego (Zone 23-24) and have purchased a home that has beds along the periphery of the back yard. In Chicago I had wonderful cottage gardens and enjoy having cut flowers in the house. Obviously it is different gardening here, but suggestions for what plants would be included in a Zone 6 cutting/cottage garden that also grow here? Or further suggestions of things that grow here that I couldn't use in Chicago?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

I love cottage gardens. The list of possible plants for a garden in San Diego is vast. Below are a few plant ideas that may help you get started on your cottage garden design. Some of the names are likely old friends from your Chicago garden, others may be unfamiliar.

Agapanthus, agastache, asclepias, achillea, alstroemeria, alyssum, anemone, aquilegia, anigozanthos, armeria, artemisia, bletilla, buddleja, bergenia, canna, crocosmia, campanula, Coreopsis grandifolia, clematis, coleus, cosmos, daylilies, dahlias, dietes, dianthus, echium, euphorbia, festuca, freesia, fuchsia, foxglove, geum, geranium (true), gaura, gazania, gladiolus, gaillardia, heuchera, iris (bearded), kniphofia, kalanchoe, lavender, lantana, lobelia, limonium, lotus (L. berthelotii), liriope, malva, phormium, passiflora, phygelius, penstemon, physostegia, pelargonium, pentas, rehmannia, rudbeckia, rosemary, salvia, sedum, snapdragons, Shasta daises, stachys, trachelium, thyme, verbena, voila and zinnia.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
Searching for Palo Verde 'Desert Museum'
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have searched...
Oyster123
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
Killing palo verde
I apologize to those of you who cannot grow these....
rodoehoho
Sponsored Products
Shiny Carmel Metal 14-inch Rivet Planters (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Veranda Cream/Green 6 ft. 7 in.
Home Depot
Chickadee Garden Bird Feeder - Copper Verde
Signature Hardware
Terracotta 14-Inch Dark Sky Outdoor Wall Mount with Fan and Bullets Border Cutou
$106.20 | Bellacor
36" Two Hoop Arbor - White Finish
Fifthroom.com
Red Carpet Studios 11.5 in. Mini Bird Bath - 40201
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Traditional Column Radiator Cast Iron Style High Gloss Black 71 x 10.6
Hudson Reed
Lechuza | Delta 40 Planter
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™