Mexican Elder Tree in Albuquerque

adp_abq(7b NM)August 30, 2004

Can mexican elder trees be grown successfully in albuquerque? I used to see them all over las cruces and el paso. I haven't seen any here. I'd like a small tree for my front yard (about 20 ft). I am also considering a chitalpa or maybe a new mexico olive trained as a tree. I don't want a desert willow. There are too many on this street already. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactus_dude(Tucson)

I'm pretty sure Mexican Elder is hardy here because I've seen it in a few locations around town. You could also try several types of mesquite and/or acacia, not to mention Yellow Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia gilliesii). Another more exotic option is Windmill Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) which is very cold hardy and is excellent for ABQ.

Bookmark   August 30, 2004 at 7:00PM
adp_abq(7b NM)

I ended getting a screwbean mesquite tree (prosopis pubescens). Thanks for the suggestion.

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 7:42PM
flattie

I have both Trachycarpus fortunei (and Sabal minor) growing near a newly planted Mexican elder. Time will tell if this combo looks good.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 11:38PM
eboles_cabq_gov

Some of these trees grow along the west side of Washington Street NE in the first block north of Central Avenue, old Rotue 66. They are mature but in need of care. Apparently they were planted by the original owner of the De Anza Motor Lodge, an adjacent historic motel built in 1939. The trees are big enough to suggest they're as old as the motor lodge. They are very sculptural.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Please HELP tree selection and questions?
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally start my gardening...
black-thumbs
Myoporum Parvifolium
Help me please! I am new to this! I live in Southern...
kinkers
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™