Decomposed Granite as outdoor planter/potting soil?

brownmolaAugust 6, 2010

Hello, I have 3 very long and skinny planters (8ft. long, 1.5 ft. wide, 1.5 ft. deep). They are being planted with drought tolerant plants, most likely tea trees and desert roses.

I literally have a ton of leftover decomposed granite. I've heard that it is fast draining and these type of plants like that. Can I just use the DG in the planters or do I have to amend or mix it with something else?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

You need something to hold moisture, which decomposed granite will not do. You can mix fine decomposed granite into regular potting mix to improve the drainage, but you need to be making a mix similar to "cactus mix" at least.

Keep in mind that plants in containers need to be watered more often than the same plants would if they were planted in the ground.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 9:00AM
brownmola

Would a 50/50 mix of decomposed granite and compost do the trick? I could also add in some peat moss.

Thanks lazygardens.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 9:55AM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Don't add peat moss! Compost and regular potting soil would be better than straight peat moss.
Have you considered just selling the granite? Or perhaps donating it to a worthy project? Do you have a Master Gardener unit in your area? Many have school/nursing home projects they work on and might could use the stuff. Ask around.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 10:01AM
jun_(8b-9a)

decomposed granite is excellent for planters. you might want to ask al (tapla) on the container forum. he's got a thing going on there where everyone is going crazy searching for granite.

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 4:49PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

One might also add some perlite or vermiculite (depends on what you are planting) to the mix of compost and DG to give the mix a little resistance to compressing.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 11:20PM
More Discussions
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
Rsidential rock screen
HELP. I have an older home. I live in the high desert...
rodoehoho
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™