Transplanted Canadian Needs Help in TX

TxTcherAugust 6, 2013

My husband & I recently built a house on 20 acres in the country near Abilene TX. I've lived in this area for 20 yrs but have never attempted any real gardening. Now I'm faced with the prospect of designing and planting a yard. As you may suspect, I'm not much of a gardener. I need to take baby steps. My 1st question - its the beginning of Aug. What, if anything can I plant? Where do I begin?We are having an unusually wet summer with 6" of rain at the beg of Jul. However, the weather is now very hot and no chance of rain in sight. But, I'd like to start somewhere. Is it too late to plant any grass? Maybe I could start with a small xeriscape-type bed up against the house in front (on the left side of the pic - left of the front porch)? The front faces east. Where could I find a plan and step-by-step instructions? I am really interested in growing native things that do not require a lot of water or work. And, I don't want to have to mow a ton of grass.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
violetwest

I am in a similar situation having to plan and plant my house when I've never even pulled a weed before in my life. I have found the following references helpful for native plant and local gardening info (certainly more than this forum, or even most of the other forums here on GardenWeb):

1) Your county agricultural extension and/or master gardeners' program usually have tons of info on what you can plant when

2) The Hot Garden by Scott Calhoun (book)

3) Natural by Design by Judith Phillips (book)

4) Desert Landscaping: How to Start and Maintain a Healthy Landscape in the Southwest, by George Brookbank (book)

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
plant ID
Hi, A friend of mine is trying to identify the plant...
alexander3_gw
If anyone's growing Black Sapote, Tejocote, or Copao...
I am interested in seeds or small rooted cuttings. I...
ansarac
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™