Activities for kids

flower_fairy772March 19, 2003

I need ideas on activities related to gardening for kids aged around 5-6. It needs to be something you can do in about 1-2 hours. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beckyishere(6 IL)

My Daisy troop (5-6)made newspaper pots, while we talked about recycling. Then we each planted three pots with three different types of seeds. We made a small booklet out of construction paper to record our seedlings progress. When we meet next time we will bring out seedlings and compare seeds progress. This project with five girls and three adults helping, took an hour and a half and all the girls had a great time. Becky

Bookmark   March 20, 2003 at 8:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trudi_d

I'll agree that sowing seeds is as easy and rewarding an activity as the kids can do in a short amount of time. You can substitute styrofoam cups for the newspaper pots but they'll need a couple of small holes put in the base for drainage, then you can write on the side o the cup with a ball point pen to mark the cups. I like the newspaper pot idea too....but if you have some kids who may not be as dextrous as others, then the cups will be a good and more simple route.

Easy and fast seeds are zinnias, marigolds, squash, cukes, sunflowers, bachelor buttons, and morning glories.

T

Bookmark   March 20, 2003 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Fun Rainy Day Recycling Projects for Kids
I was going through my seed/plant catalogs today, trying...
annikasmommykate
gardening pen pal?
I do not need any replies to this topic anymore. Thanks This...
Edlyn12
Help with school project
I work in 9 different schools running Girl Scout troops...
Cyla
Easter Egg Plant
Does anyone know if this plant is poisonous? Its in...
sarahbarah27
sunflower house #2 - 2014
Well, I'm back with the Second Edition of the Sunflower...
samhain10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™