A Project for the Kids

timsburghApril 20, 2007

Just the other day I was in the parking lot of a Home Depot loading the kids into the minivan. I noticed in the bed of the truck parked next to me a load of yard trash (obviously on it's way to the dump). I reached in and grabbed a few cuttings of what looked like some common variety of croton. Clouds were rolling in and it started to rain...

As I put the cuttings in the trunk of our minivan my children started asking me why I was stealing from that truck (bless their hearts). I explained that the load was on it's way to the dump and we were going to try to save these cuttings.

As the storm rolled in that afternoon I set up a project area in the family room and layed out plactic tableclothes on the floor. We had potting soil, flats, water, rooting compound - the works. We spent the rest of that stormy afternoon preparing the cuttings... and making a huge mess. When we were finished I wrapped up the table clothe and threw it away. Just like that - all clean. Not only did we have fun but the kids learned a lot and have taken a personal interest in our garden.

Obviously depending on the age of your children you may want to control the use of rooting compound.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
careytearose(z9 NoCal)

What a great project, and a wonderful way to involve the children in gardening!! I love the easy cleanup too. :o> Thanks for sharing this.

careytearose

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
HELP. How do I fix this?
Hello fellow gardeners. I'm not a gardener, I'm a kid...
ryguy1031
seeds for the late starter
Hi Everyone, It has been so long since I have posted...
olympicmeadow
Cute site for kids!
Hi forks, DD's teacher sent us to this site beestar...
yvonnemommy
Gardening with Kids
I t is very nappiest moment in everyone's life. Gardening...
raghava0501
sunflower seed planting help!
So I planted sunflowers with my kids from the $1 buzzy...
chanale
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™