Ideas for non-veggie children's garden

tcahalan(z6 TN)April 26, 2011

Hello -- A group of volunteers (myself included) recently installed a small children's garden at my daughter's elementary school. There was an old garden in the space that had not been maintained, so we used the hardscape and reinvented it into a woodland garden with benches and a table. It looks beautiful, but I am wondering how we can get the kids to interact with the garden -- I am considering putting in a little fairy house, some plastic magnifying glasses, perhaps one of those caterpillar butterfly hatching tents, bird houses/feeders, wind chimes. Anyone have other ideas?? thanks! Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lavender_lass(4b)

Sounds like a wonderful idea! Magnifying glasses to study the bugs...and then maybe draw pictures and color them and write up a brief description or story about them?

I have a little fairy garden for my nieces and nephews. It's really a butterfly/bee garden with some cute accents, but maybe it will give you a few ideas. It's always fun for the kids to create stories about the fairies, too :)

Fairy castle (found at Lowe's clearance aisle LOL)

A little birdbath is always nice, too.

Bee balm (especially this red one) brings in hummingbirds, which the kids love to watch.

Maybe create a table and stools that look like mushrooms? Best of luck with your garden!

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Cute site for kids!
Hi forks, DD's teacher sent us to this site beestar...
yvonnemommy
Sensory Garden for Baby
Over the winter I had created a mini sensory garden...
ASCL
Fun Rainy Day Recycling Projects for Kids
I was going through my seed/plant catalogs today, trying...
annikasmommykate
Science fair project
I am a 5th grader working on a science fair project....
kayla47
Gardening with Kids
I t is very nappiest moment in everyone's life. Gardening...
raghava0501
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™