Trouble with Evergreen Arbovitae

rathagosAugust 14, 2007

I live in West Texas which is very close to a desert climate. Temperatures vary throughout the year from teens in the winter to 100's in the summer.

Three months ago, I planted 4 6-7' Evergreen Arbovitaes. They were planted about 9-10' apart. The first one died within a month. The other three have been fine for the three months, but now all seem to be dying. The leaves/needles are turning yellow, but there is still some green.

My soil is calichy with red clay. I dug a hole for each approximately 2' deep by 3-4' wide. After loosening the root ball, we filled the remaining hole with 90 percent tree and shrub soil.

Because the weather has changed and gotten hotter (about 10-15 degrees) than the previous three months, we have been watering everyday, sometimes twice a day, thinking the plants were initially dying due to lack of water with the increased heat. It has been 4-5 days and there has been no improvement.

Please help!!!! I don't want them all to die. How can I save them?!?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lorna-organic

I believe arborvitae are best planted in fall or winter, during cooler conditions. They must be kept moist whilst they are taking root. I suspect that they like acid conditions, but am not sure of that. You could put a few handfuls of peat moss down on top of the soil and water it in. If you kept your receipt, you might be able to return the trees which died for a refund.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 3:25AM
More Discussions
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
Please HELP tree selection and questions?
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally start my gardening...
black-thumbs
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
Myoporum Parvifolium
Help me please! I am new to this! I live in Southern...
kinkers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™