Plant that begins with 'u'

flamingogal(Kansas)May 18, 2002

I am a preschool teacher in an elementary school in KS. We are creating an ABC garden and are looking for a plant that begins with the letter "u". We can always be creative and find some kind of "ugly" plant, but would prefer to have a plant that actually begins with "u". Last year we just put an umbrella plant out in a pot, but would like something different this year. Any ideas??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Elm trees are of the genus Ulmus. I don't know anything about kids, this may be a stretch.

Bookmark   May 19, 2002 at 4:47PM
katybird_PA(z6 PA)

Uvularia. I believe the common name is merry bells.
It scares me that this immediately came to mind when I saw the subject of your post. Too much time reading my garden books!

Bookmark   May 21, 2002 at 3:12PM
ankraras(8/9AZ)

Hi;-
I do not recall that many plants beginning with the letter *U* but here are a few;-

Ugni [Chilean Guava] ;- A beautiful evergreen shrub .
Ulex [Gorse] ;- An unusual, almost leafless, fragrant flowers shrub.
Umbellularia [Headache tree] ;- It is said that the aromatic leaves are used as an insect repellent.
Urceolina ;- Not sure of the common name. A genus of spring flowering bulbs.
Urginea [Hook sedge] ;- Another flowering bulb that flowers in late summer.
Ursinia [Star of the veld] ;- A genus of perennials and annuals, some for foliage others for flowers.
Utricularia [Bladderwort] ;- Carnivorous water plants.
Uebelmannia [Cacti] ;- I think this unique genus is from Basil.
Uncarina [Succulent] ;- Trees and shrubs with beautiful flowers and fuzzy leaves.

Supannee
Ankrara's Hobby Corner

Bookmark   May 22, 2002 at 10:47AM
sinsleystuff(z5,ID)

Thanks for the post, I am kindergarten teacher and we just completed our ABC garden and I could not find a "U" plant for our zone.

Bookmark   May 22, 2002 at 11:12PM
Roadworrier

Umbrella Palm. It is a water plant but could be grown in a pot if it is kept moist. You might try it. Look for it at a water garden center or sometimes Lowe's has it.
Good Luck,
Karen

Bookmark   June 23, 2002 at 10:34PM
caitzs

Uva-ursi (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) AKA kinnikinnik - native evergreen groundcover with pink flowers and bright red berries. Not poisonous. Hardy.

Umbellularia californica - California bay laurel/Oregon myrtle - native evergreen tree with aromatic and edible leaves. Can be used as a substitute for bay leaves (but the taste is much stronger) Zones 8 and up.

Umbrella pine (Sciadopitys verticillata) - conifer that is native to Japan, slow grower, hardy.

Umbrella plant (Cyperus alternifolius) - related to papyrus, the plant the Egyptians used to make paper. Water sedge, 2-4 feet, self sows and may be weedy, tender.

Umbrella magnolia (Magnolia tripetala) - deciduous tree to 40 feet high, hardy. Doesn't bloom until 10 years old, but has 10 inch wide white flowers in summer.

Umbrella tree/octopus tree (Schefflera actinophylla) - Evergreen shrub, tropical, usually a houseplant.

Urbinia agavoides (AKA Echeveria agavoides) - Succulents, tender, looks like hens-and-chicks.

BTW, Gorse (Ulex) catches on fire very easily, has many large thorns, and is poisonous. It is a listed noxious weed in Washington, Oregon, California, and Hawaii, and should not be planted in the arid SW, where it would be a fire danger. Check with your local government before you plant this.

Bookmark   June 24, 2002 at 5:41PM
Shalott

I believe there is a fruit called "Ugli" fruit. I have no idea what the plant name is, though.

Bookmark   July 7, 2002 at 12:26AM
pepper7(z7 TN)

I have something in my garden right now called a unicorn plant aka devil's claw. A word of warning though, mine have gotten so big I have had to chop off large sections. Plus the leaves are sticky, almost like flypaper. I grew this with my tomatoes because I was told it would attract tomato horn worms to it rather than my tomatoes. I don't think this will be a repeater for me next year though.

Bookmark   July 24, 2002 at 10:38AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Ugli fruit is a registered trade name for cross between a mandarin orange and a pomelo.

Bookmark   July 24, 2002 at 3:56PM
Doris_J(Z8 WA)

Uncinia uncinata (Red New Zealand Hook Sedge)

Bookmark   August 11, 2002 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Education to become a farmer?
I'm 19 years old and interested in sustainable agriculture....
jimbad05
Gardening with Kids
I t is very nappiest moment in everyone's life. Gardening...
raghava0501
Cute site for kids!
Hi forks, DD's teacher sent us to this site beestar...
yvonnemommy
Chemically treated lawn OK for kids play?
My garden was and is lush green all thru the fall and...
saly
gardening pen pal?
I do not need any replies to this topic anymore. Thanks This...
Edlyn12
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™