De-weeding my garden

gcotterl(9)September 18, 2011

I live in Riverside, California (about 60 miles east of Los Angeles).

My garden is loaded with Senecio vulgaris (common groundsel) and Euphorbia peplus (petty spurge).

When hand-weeding, what's the best way to make sure I pull all of the weeds ("ROOTS AND ALL").

After weeding, what can I apply to prevent these weeds from re-emerging? (Preen Weed Preventer doesn't work). (Note: There are shrubs and trees in the garden so I don't want to harm them).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Wet soil is in my experience the best aid for pulling weeds, roots and all.

The answer to controlling them in the future is not weed killer (after all, this is toxic to all plants, except for Monsanto's GM crops), but rather mulch. If you cover all bare soil with a thick layer of mulch the seeds of those annual weeds have no chance, and your shrubs and trees will be the happier for it as well.

I mulch often with barley straw because where I live it is plentiful, cheap, and easy to transport, store, and apply. It really controls the weeds while maintaining moisture and adding organic material. You might find that rice straw from the central valley is similarly useful.

But if your garden is a more formal space (mine is strictly for growing food), then your choice of mulch will probably depend on aesthetic qualities as well as availability. Some people use a layer of cheaper mulch like straw or leaves (or of course breathable landscape fabric) overtopped with something more decorative, such as bark, wood chips, pecan shells, stone, etc...

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
Sponsored Products
Sunflower Bubbler Cast Stone LED Fountain
Lamps Plus
Polished Gray Granite Bench with Curved Design
Signature Hardware
Hummingbird Hose Guide
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Imperial Garden Rug 6' x 9' - BROWN TONES
$2,399.00 | Horchow
Jewelry Tree Large by Menu
$69.95 | Lumens