dianthus blooms have died, plants still healthy

Vicki - MOMay 18, 1999

Hi, I bought some beautiful, bi-color dianthus and planted in my garden, about a week ago. The blooms have died off, but the plants themselves still look healthy and sturdy. What should I do? I thought perhaps cutting back the tops might trigger regrowth of flowers, but I've not worked with this plant before.

Thanks, for any help or insight you can provide.

Vicki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IronBelly Mays - 5a - Iowa

Vicki,

Chill out... have a beer... they will start blooming again soon (if not already).

IronBelly

Bookmark   May 24, 1999 at 5:33PM
Becky - 3

Just take your scissors, pruners, and cut back one third of the plant. It will bloom again. And, have a beer!!! I prefer Pina Coladas.

Bookmark   December 30, 2000 at 11:19PM
miss_louie(z5Co)

Well, I have been deadheading, & deadheading, & deadheading, go figure. Mine are going to seed so I thought if I wanted another bloom I should deadhead. Am I wrong? Think I'll have a beer.

Bookmark   June 27, 2001 at 9:56AM
katiecrosby(8a/almost/bSC)

I am in the same boat! My dianthus were so pretty, and then suddenly all the blooms died, and I am wondering WHEN will they bloom again!?! I deadheaded a good bit, but still no noticeable results! I think I'll have a beer too! LOL. Any encouragement would be welcome.

Bookmark   May 11, 2002 at 12:57PM
two_munkeys(z6 ON)

Last year, I tried dianthus for the first time. They were so gorgeous all summer - they never stopped blooming. So, this year, I replaced the snapdragons I normally use for my "low annual hedge" with dianthus. I have a long row of it, about 20'. I sheared mine about 2 weeks ago when the blooming stopped (took about 2" off). Still waiting (with a beer in my hand) for signs of a rebloom; I'm thinking its back to snaps next year.

Bookmark   July 3, 2002 at 10:52AM
Number2of7(Z7 GA)

I have several different varieties of dianthus...my perennial ones put on quite a show early this spring, then kinda went blah when temps in the 90's rolled around. I cut them back all the way to the foliage in mid-June and now they are reblooming.
As far as my annual varieties, I just deadhead continuously and they finally let me know when they've had enough...that's when I leave enough of the dead flowers on it to collect seed for later.

...but I'll pass on the beer! :-)

Good Luck!
Amber

Bookmark   July 11, 2002 at 7:50PM
Mary Pantzis 5

I planted 60 perennial dianthus correctly in the sun and they were are bloomig. The blooms have stopped. What do I do to get them started blooming again. What do I do to make them blooms again the plant is heathly. thank you

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
Help with school project
I work in 9 different schools running Girl Scout troops...
Cyla
pen pal ?
I know this is a little off topic, but my son, 10 (11...
stormy_weather
whoops ! avo seed placed wrong way
Hi this little avo was placed in the water upside down,...
roksee
Science fair project
I am a 5th grader working on a science fair project....
kayla47
sunflower seed planting help!
So I planted sunflowers with my kids from the $1 buzzy...
chanale
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™