Future landscape designer/junker?

janetgia(5b IA)May 27, 2003

My 9-year-old daughter was looking for something to do in the garden this weekend, and I told her: "I have a project for you. I have five old wooden sticks that used to be broom handles, and I'd love to find a use for them in the garden. Why don't you design something for me using some of those sticks?"

She thought this was a great idea - she laid out all the old handles on the patio and got out a little notebook, and within minutes had sketched a very simple and rustic-looking unit that can be used as a trellis, plant hanger, or bird feeder rack. She even noted that the sticks should be nailed together for strength, but we could tie rope around the joints "for display." I literally smacked my forehead when I saw her design - it is so simple, and I of course NEVER thought of it - and told her what a neat idea it was, and she said, "This is so cool, I can DESIGN stuff!" We will be building her design sometime this week I hope, with me as her "assistant."

Now if only I can get her to learn how to build water features!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Clare(z6 MO)

Smart kid!

If you are serious about wanting to get her to build water features, I say go for it. It doesn't have to be perfect. Buy her a small pump and ask her to design a little pond. I guarantee a 9 year old can dig out a hole a foot deep and four feet in diameter over several days if they know they get to fill it with water and maybe even get to splash in it the first week or so. Then set the pump up in it and she will be so proud of "my pond." Later, you can tell her about pond plants, waterfalls, rock edges, maybe even fish. Or who, knows, if she's seen a couple of garden "water features before, she may think of those things from the beginning.

--advice from a mom who several years ago was asking on the Landscape Design forum for advice about working a mud pit, yes a mud pit, into her small garden.

Bookmark   June 14, 2003 at 10:53PM
njcher(Zone 6)

What a cute story, Janetgia. It would be great to have a pint-sized landscape designer around the house.

I just have a cat and her designs only go as far as digging holes in my raised beds. This is not helpful.

Any chance of pics when you two have completed the design?

Cher

Bookmark   July 5, 2003 at 6:15PM
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

Sounds like she should be checking the Garden Junk forum for more garden art ideas of useful junk.Good Luck

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Praying Mantis
Hi, My daughter and I captured an unsuspecting praying...
vicki_mildenstein
pen pal ?
I know this is a little off topic, but my son, 10 (11...
stormy_weather
Cute site for kids!
Hi forks, DD's teacher sent us to this site beestar...
yvonnemommy
Flower seeds that can be sown now
Are there any flower seeds besides marigolds that young...
pippi21
Science fair project
I am a 5th grader working on a science fair project....
kayla47
Sponsored Products
Regal Matte Chrome Mini Pendant with Textured Merlot Glass
$341.25 | Bellacor
Ferrara Floor Lamp by Bover
$1,009.00 | Lumens
Kichler Black Side Mount Eclipse Low Voltage Path Light
Lamps Plus
Outdoor Lighting. LV24VRD Landscape Lighting Path Light Low Voltage (12V) Die Ca
$70.11 | Home Depot
"Keeping Watch II" (Left Facing) - MULTI COLORS
$675.00 | Horchow
WAC Lighting | LED200 LEDme Step Light
$107.50 | YLighting
Tide on the Beach' Oil on Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Orbit Storage Module in Red
$99.00 | LexMod
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™