hanging a tire swing???

cheryllou(mid-Tn zone 6)May 19, 2002

I am a grandmother & would like to make a tire swing for my grandchildren. I have a few questions. I want to use a nylon rope. How do I get the rope over the branch? Is there a trick to get it over & protect the branch once it is being used? If I use a used tire, what is the best way to clean it so it won't rub off on their clothes? I saw some swivel hardware online for hanging the tire but it was very expensive. Climbing the tree is NOT an option. I need help from someone who has done this. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nora_in_vancouver(8b Wet Coast)

We did this but our apple tree branch is in easy reach. It sounds like you need a ladder, or ask a tree-trimmer or window washer with a long ladder to come in and do it for you.

If the branch is not too high you can tie something heavy to a light messenger line at least twice as long as the height of the branch. Maybe a kite string or butcher twine. Then throw the object up over the branch, with the line trailing behind it. This rather frustrating activity usually appeals to the male parent of the grandchild. Now tie the real rope to the messenger and pull it over. But the friction from a single rope over the branch can cause some damage to the branch. You can use the messenger line again to get several wraps around the branch to help spread the load.

Nylon ropes have a lot of stretch -- up to 50% depending on how they are made. So you should plan on having to adjust the height frequently. It is a good choice, though, because it will absorb shocks well and resists mildew and rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making a tire swing

Bookmark   May 22, 2002 at 12:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nature_girl(z7 LI,NY)

I know I'm late but we hired a tree trimming co to hang 3 ropes. They told us to buy the same ropes that they use to climb trees. We had to go to a special store to get them.

If you haven't already put the swing up, call a tree trimming co near you & see how much they would charge to do it for you....they may even supply you w/ the rope since you don't need that much. Good luck! :o)

Bookmark   August 16, 2002 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
sunflower seed planting help!
So I planted sunflowers with my kids from the $1 buzzy...
chanale
whoops ! avo seed placed wrong way
Hi this little avo was placed in the water upside down,...
roksee
gardening pen pal?
I do not need any replies to this topic anymore. Thanks This...
Edlyn12
Avacado Seeds
I am trying to grow an avacado plant in a glass of...
Daniel Fry - 10 b
pen pal ?
I know this is a little off topic, but my son, 10 (11...
stormy_weather
Sponsored Products
Sunflowers Bamboo Blinds - 72 Inch, Width - 72 Inches
$79.00 | Bellacor
Moes Home Labyrinth Wall Dicor
Beyond Stores
Chamberlain 1 Light Pendant
Overstock.com
Stacy Garcia Chevron Pride Pink 7 1/2"W Steel Mini Pendant
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Othello Decorative Rod & Finial Set
$14.99 | zulily