Play surface?

tracywag(Z5 NY)May 20, 2005

What do you use for play surfaces? We are looking into resodding our little back lawn, this is the perfect chance to put a shock-absorbant surface under our wooden playset. But what? Our back yard is only ~800ft, a good ~200ft of which is patio, veg garden and surounding edge gardens. What would not make the yard look very very small? The border garden has barck mulch. I' looking for ideas and photos.

Thanks!

Tracy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mayalena(6 - MetroWest Boston)

We have kid-safe cedar chips -- and the "raised bed" containing them looks like the raised veggie bed we have. Not beautiful, but functional!

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 6:56PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

Our school playground across the street has plain old wood chips and they work great. They eventually break down which is good for when your kids outgrow it. Cheap and easy and surprisingly soft.

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 7:25AM
bigdsanders

We used redwood chips in a 16' x 24' perimeter of 4x4s (bolted together - 10' high) installed by the Playset Place in Lubbock, Texas.

The material and depth met the recommendations of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Here is a link that might be useful: Playset Place

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 10:05AM
california_dreamer

We too used wood chips- triple shredded so they are soft and not splintery. I found a place that sold it (they called it playground fiber) in bulk. They delivered 10 yds to my house and that covered a 500 sq ft play area 6 inches deep.
I think they look good and smell great!
Here's a photo. This is the side of our house- an area we now call "the playground".

Bookmark   January 13, 2008 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Sensory Garden for Baby
Over the winter I had created a mini sensory garden...
ASCL
Gopher eradication in school garden
I am wondering what your feelings are on this issue....
azherbboy
Avocado tree?
is this a avocado tree? I'm sending some pictures....
Markchauvin1969
sunflower house #2 - 2014
Well, I'm back with the Second Edition of the Sunflower...
samhain10
Fun Rainy Day Recycling Projects for Kids
I was going through my seed/plant catalogs today, trying...
annikasmommykate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™