Growing Breadseed & Peony Poppies, Illegal or Not?

hannah82(9b)September 24, 2011

Hello fellow gardeners!

I have always loved poppies and peonies and have always longed to have them in the garden one day. Earlier this spring, I purchased a packet of seeds at the local Lowes home improvement store solely because of the beautiful peony-like blooms pictured on the packet. I figured, if I can't grow peonies here, then might as well grow poppies that look like peonies! A win-win situation right?! At any rate, I stuck them in the refrigerator crisper along with a packet of breadseed poppy seeds, which I received as a bonus for buying oriental poppy seeds at the One Stop Poppy Shoppe, to chill before fall planting. This week I sowed the seeds and decided to sit down at the computer for some in-depth research on growing poppies. However, while cruising the net, I began to read a lot of scary anecdotes and utterly ridiculous reports on the illegality of growing these plants (papaver somniferum and paeoniflorum) in the US due to the potential for being used to manufacture opium, morphine, etc.

If I'm correct in my understanding, according to law, one could sell the seeds and for garden or culinary use but cannot grow the plants-which means the seed companies must grow the plants illegally in order to sell the seeds. One can save the seeds from plants but not be in possession of any poppy straw (dried leaves, stalk, seed pods). Well, you'd have to dry the seed pod before you can obtain any seeds! There are a LOT of contradictory and confusing reports on this issue and now I'm paranoid I could one day be taken away in handcuffs and fined up to a million dollars for growing a few pretty flowers in the yard- Yikes! I'm wondering if anyone living around these parts, especially southern california, could shed any light on this confounded conundrum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Sounds utterly ridiculous that you could ever get into trouble from growing breadseed poppies in a home garden.

I'm sure there are plenty of laws against opium production, but that is a very different operation from a backyard garden, likely involving totally different strains of the plant, large acreages, and specific extraction processes.

Furthermore, with the care that seed suppliers take to warn buyers of phytosanitary laws, invasiveness precautions, and any number of other things, I find it incomprehensible that they would carry common P.somniferum seed if any part of it (producing the seed for sale, selling the seed, or buyers growing out the seed) were against the law. They would never risk their own company for something like this if it were illegal. You really have nothing to worry about.

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I think that one is not allowed to take a knife to the pod and collect the sap. So grow away just don't collect the sap.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
I am new users here
I am new here. And i have a website about dell drivers...
jerfrank
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017, zn 9, phx
Roses for a small space that can take the heat, zone 7b
Any suggestions? We have room for a couple of new roses, in...
Theresa McHarney
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
Sponsored Products
4 in. In-Line Fan - 165 CFM - ACDF4
$111.99 | Hayneedle
American Rug Craftsmen Crib 2 College Anchors Blue Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Clockworks Crescent Antique Console Table - 123-OT1030
$280.00 | Hayneedle
Boss B16215 Mesh Drafting Stool with Loop Arms - Black - B16215
$102.36 | Hayneedle
Hape Discovery Spaceship and Lift Off Rocket - E3003
$116.99 | Hayneedle
Tornado Sport Foosball Table - TORNADO SPORT
Hayneedle
Avignon Rectangular Rustic Brown Console Table - 197-OT1030
$306.00 | Hayneedle
Active Aqua Humidome - HGFTDM22