Where to find ocotillo in Southern New Mexico?

victorhugo(6)September 6, 2007

Hi, neighbors!

I just moved on to an acre and a half here on the border with Mexico. Whenever I drive over there I see mountainslopes full of ocotillo, but no way to bring some back. Whenever I visit the big box chains gardenshops they have all these great plants that won't grow here, but no ocotillo. Anyone have an idea how to propagate, or purchase in pots about a half dozen ocotillo? I'd rather not rustle it, even if I could find some free in the wild!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adp_abq(7b NM)

Sierra Vista Growers is supposed to have a good supply of native plants.

2800 NM Highway. 28
La Union, NM

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 8:12PM
wineandlobos

They carry ocotillo here in Albuquerque at Lowes and some nursery's, Try those in Las Cruces or El Paso.They should have some.Or maybe even Juarez might have a good deal on them.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 1:57PM
victorhugo(6)

Can't bring them from Juarez or I'd dig up a truck load on the road to Ascension!

Thanks anyway!

Where is La Union?

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 3:15PM
desertlvr

La Union is on NM 28 which runs through the town of Mesilla south to the Texas border. Sierra Vista is near mile marker 3, jsut north of TX border. It is a great nursery.
My favorite place for strictly desert plants is Desertland Nursery on the service drive of I-10 just east of El Paso. Exit #35, continue on the service drive going east, and it is on the right side about 1 and 1/2 miles up. Lots of ocotillos, barrel cacti,tree yuccas, sotols, at great prices. Good luck. dl

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 4:44PM
victorhugo(6)

thanks for all of your help and I'll start digging and then buying after pay day, before the cold comes in, you say.

I'll try to remember your tip about riding that cactus on a carpet strip instead of carrying her in my arms like a new lamb

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
Killing palo verde
I apologize to those of you who cannot grow these....
rodoehoho
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™