vines to grow on pergola

fmbleier(9)September 15, 2013

I live in Phoenix, AZ and I have a new well built large pergola that is begging for a plant material to grow on it to soften the look. Please advise as to what would be a good choice of vine. I have a gardner that comes once a week that would help train it's growth. I plan to sell the house in about 3 years so am not worried about overgrowth which I know can become a problem with vines. Please advise.
Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

If you want evergreen, some of the native coral honeysuckles (lonicera sempervirens) should work in your zone. Though don't know if all improved cultivars, such as 'Major Wheeler', can thrive in 9.

For deciduous, one of the 'Madame' trumpet vine hybrids (campsis x tagliabuana) should work. The native campsis radicans would also work, but future owners may curse you.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 2:45PM
Organic_Posterity

If the temp drops hard in the winter, then I guess deciduous like a hardy grape such as concord or another native cross. Wisteria is also a very hardy any monster grower once established. Hops is the money. Sambac Jasmine is slow growing and requires straps but smells and tastes so good(Grand Dukes especially).
If it's hot year around, passifora edulis, Honey suckles, and creeping fig is you want a battle.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 3:07PM
Organic_Posterity

If the temp drops hard in the winter, then I guess deciduous like a hardy grape such as concord or another native cross. Wisteria is also a very hardy any monster grower once established. Hops is the money. Sambac Jasmine is slow growing and requires straps but smells and tastes so good(Grand Dukes especially).
If it's hot year around, passifora edulis, Honey suckles, and creeping fig is you want a battle.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
Myoporum Parvifolium
Help me please! I am new to this! I live in Southern...
kinkers
If anyone's growing Black Sapote, Tejocote, or Copao...
I am interested in seeds or small rooted cuttings. I...
ansarac
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™