Redwood deck/in deck hot tub problem

humster(5/6)September 25, 2010

I have a huge redwood deck in the east mountains N of Abq. I love it and don't want to ruin it as we oil it every few years. In one spot there is a very deep wooden hot tub that we have not used, even once. It has a wooden cover. I could have it covered and blended into the rest of the deck as a safety measure for the kids and for added deck space. We will not use it, it needs to be repaired and we do not want a hot tub. It is so deep that it scares me to sit in it, as I cannot see out. I think it is currently a home of rodents- packrats have brought items into the edges.

I was thinking, another alternative might be to fill it with dirt. I don't like the idea of rotting the wood...on the other hand it was built to contain water. It would be an ideal spot for a tree, etc.. We could use one there. It obviously has a water system set up, but I don't know if it's usable for this situation and we have never turned it on in seven years. BTW this is a west facing spot.

What would you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

"We will not use it, it needs to be repaired and we do not want a hot tub." Sounds as if you've answered your own question. Remove the thing.
Is this a wooden tub or a regular hot tub with wood for pretty?
How deep is it? Does it drain well?
Does the water system work, could you reconfigure it for irrigation purposes? You could use it for a planter as long as it has adequate drainage. I wouldn't put a tree in it, not enough room and dangerous near the house/deck.
Is the wood in contact with the soil? If so have you checked it for termites?
Pack rats? Definitely don't want those guys near the house. Make sure field mice aren't in there too, they can carry Hantavirus.

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 10:01AM
lazy_gardens

I would worry about it being too heavy, and the soil would be hard to keep aerated. Deep planters usually turn stagnant in the bottom.

I recommend removal and using any leftover redwood for smaller planters.

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 6:51PM
humster(5/6)

nmgirl: it is entirely solid wood. I'd say about 4 1/2 feet deep with a 3 1/2 foot diameter? No contact with soil beneath...the builders did a great job of making sure none of the house, entirely made of wood, contacts the soil directly. Yes, rats and mice make me nervous.

lazygardens: We can remove it and using the leftover wood for planters makes a lot of sense, I love to reuse things, because we have lots of leftover stuff and no need to buy fifty dollar planters.

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
I am new users here
I am new here. And i have a website about dell drivers...
jerfrank
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Sponsored Products
Lightbulb Heat-Sensitive Mug
$7.99 | zulily
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WHLX78214 Widespread Deck Mount Lavatory Faucet
$299.00 | Blue Bath
WAC LEDme 5" High Bronze Step Light
Lamps Plus
Cypress Rocker
Fifthroom.com
Clara 60-inch Outdoor Green Bench Cushion with Sunbrella
Overstock.com