SW new mexico cloudcroft area

willsprayOctober 3, 2007

Does anyone know what kind of climate they have in the mountains SW new mexico, cloudcroft area? For example what hardiness zone it is, what kind of trees and shrubs grow well there?

What is the real estate market like?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lorna-organic

When I was researching my move to New Mexico, I looked up Cloudcroft. It is a high mountain climate. The prospect of getting a decent paying job did not look promising. It is a small community. The roads are sometimes inaccessible during winter from what I read. One cannot get in or out of the town during heavy snowfall.

A friend of mine vacationed in Cloudcroft and thought the area was really beautiful. It might be a good place to retire, but it would not be a gardener's dream because of long, heavy winters.

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 2:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catnip3(z7 NM)

My parents lived in Cloudcroft for 5 years but moved for several reasons. Cloudcroft is at a pretty high altitude, their house was 9000 feet. Some winters there are very snowy and icy, (there was a ski slope), although the winter of 2005-2006 had no snow at all. I agree that it's not a gardener's dream but it is pretty and quite a few things will grow there. Pine and aspen seem to like it. Ruidoso is lower elevation, just as pretty but getting very pricey as well as crowded.

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Quail - gggrrrrrrrr
I am at my wit's end with quail doing a number on my...
eureka
Killing palo verde
I apologize to those of you who cannot grow these....
rodoehoho
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™