red yucca

ravenfla(32926)October 27, 2004

i have sprouted some red yucca seeds now I would like to know the next step i have put the spout in some potting soil with the seed ontop how much water does it need and do I put it under lites.any info would be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

I would say it depends on where you live. Here in Phoenix, they are some of the toughest plants around, you often see them in busy street medians, being blasted with sun and exhaust fumes and blooming like crazy. So I know they tolerate (probably even like) a lot of heat. They also grow with little to no extra irrigation, so I'd say to be careful not to overwater them (although a baby might need a touch more). I'd also advise pretty poor soil with low organic matter that has excellent drainage to avoid root rot.

Congratulations on successful germination and good luck!

Bookmark   November 4, 2004 at 2:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I sprinkled seeds in...probably August..(this years just matured ones) in raised beds where I have my cacti. I now have a fair number of little three leaf blade blades of "grass" (actually hesperaloe/red yucca). They seem to sprout easily and grow rather quickly for a succulent.
Come spring, it'll be time to work my hands around the spines and try to get them out (I had no idea I'd get that rapid a growth).

Bookmark   November 10, 2004 at 7:14AM
More Discussions
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
Myoporum Parvifolium
Help me please! I am new to this! I live in Southern...
kinkers
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™