Cannot believe I'm doing this ...

provence(SoCal/19)July 23, 2003

Had to post this at the kid's forum - would probably be laughed off anywhere else! After years of planning and months of hard work I finally got the kitchen garden I had always dreamed of. The raised beds were filled, and within a month everything was looking positively bountiful. Then early one morning, coffee in hand, surveying my little patch of heaven, I found the unthinkable - hornworms on my tomatoes! Ughhh!!! Plucked the blighters off and destroyed them.

Fast forward two days and I find another, and another. I am just about to put a permanent end to their free lunches when my youngest child comes along ...the look on his face, I may as well have been Jack the Ripper. Said hornworms are now happily settled in their new luxury accommodations (the kids' nature box). They are safe from all and any predators, have an endless supply of tomato leaves - from MY tomato plants. And the moment I knew I had finally lost it - when one of the children had left the box in the sun and I moved it into the shade so the poor little darlings wouldn't fry.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterbeanbaby(z5 MO)

You had it all wrong Provence... they're not pests, they're PETS... just one too many "S"'s I think LOL. I have a four year old, so I can completely relate. We "relocate" spiders and caterpillars and anything else we can find.

Holly

Bookmark   July 24, 2003 at 11:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phdnc(z6NW-No.Car.)

LOL...~8>)
What a great story!!!..... this summer my granddaughter (3yrs.) & I have collected June Bugs, spiders & a number of other critters (for our own relocation program), much to her Mama's & Nannie's chagrin.
So take heart Provence, "your not alone"!!
lol
phd

Bookmark   July 24, 2003 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Possible roots?
I opened up this avocado yesterday and it was like...
cynjrana
seeds for the late starter
Hi Everyone, It has been so long since I have posted...
olympicmeadow
HELP. How do I fix this?
Hello fellow gardeners. I'm not a gardener, I'm a kid...
ryguy1031
pen pal ?
I know this is a little off topic, but my son, 10 (11...
stormy_weather
whoops ! avo seed placed wrong way
Hi this little avo was placed in the water upside down,...
roksee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™