about bulbs and roots, what can be left in the ground??

nantinki(zone 5/6 NM)October 16, 2008

More pesty questions.

I just bought lots of Gladiolus, Phlox, Freesia, Hosta, Cannas, Peony, Caladiums, Daylilies, and Calla Lilies.

Do I plant any of these now or must I wait for spring?

Hosta's will probably make it but I am not sure about the rest and I got no planting directions from the company.

If I must wait until springAre any perennials? I know that Irises are but I havenÂt found any that are affordable enough for me to buy just now. No one I know grows any either.

I tried to trade a few here on the Garden Web but most people already have all they need of what I offered.

Thanks again and again,

Nantinki Up at the top of the mountain and out of her Alaskan element.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Plant them all NOW so they don't dehydrate. You can transplant them to their permanent location next spring. This info should have been included with you purchase from any good mail-order house.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 11:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lorna-organic

They will all come back year after year, Nantinki. I agree that most should be planted now, except for freesias. I'm thinking they would do best planted in spring. I planted some my first fall here, they didn't come up the following spring. The glads I planted at the same time, did come up. I recently put in daylilies and iris. I haven't had any luck with phlox, callas or cannas here. I used to grow beautiful callas in California. They do best in early morning sun, and need shade from the hot afternoon sun.
Lorna

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Please HELP tree selection and questions?
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally start my gardening...
black-thumbs
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™