xeriscape in high-desert

kfeer(5 high desert Oregon)October 1, 2012

We would like to get rid of our current lawn - that requires watering in warmer weather - with something low-maintenance and hardy. Unlike most of these posts, we don't have the southwestern climate - we are high desert - arid, not too hot in the summer, but big temperature differences day to night (20-40 degree swing) and lots of wintery snowy days. We're at a high elevation so lots of sun. Due to fire hazards, we can't let the native bunch grass, rabbit brush, etc take over. We like the grass as a fire break, but hate watering (ok, hubby hates mowing too!!) Looking for ideas for either low maint ground cover plants or xeriscaping or combination. I'm a novice when it comes to plants, and don't have a lot of time or money to spend. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eureka(SS11 LasVegas/Henderson)

If you go to the site of High Country Gardens who are located in Santa Fe, they have several excellent lawns that are slow growing and rarely need mowing and very little water. They would likely be your best guide.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 12:40AM
stompoutbermuda(Z8DesertSunsetZ11)

have you considered just dirt? you could cover the dirt with either old carpet turned upside down, several layers of newspaper or cardboard.... then to make it look presentable cover it with something like black steer manure or wood chips? Doing it this way, you wouldnt have to tear out your lawn which would save a lot of work.... just cover it up!

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 11:53PM
eureka(SS11 LasVegas/Henderson)

You could also look at ornamental grasses or create a meadow, also something that you can look at on High Country Gardens site. You have many choices but I do feel that High Country Gardens can give you the most guidance with their various gardens, meadows, and grasses. I think they are exactly what you are looking for.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 1:00AM
Blossom_Designer(5)

Veronica prostrata and Veronica pectinata are two nice groundcovers that require little maintenance.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Quail - gggrrrrrrrr
I am at my wit's end with quail doing a number on my...
eureka
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™