Expanded Shale

judy_38(Dewey, az 86327)October 5, 2005

Help from any of you that told me about this for clay soil. Have jusr spent 3 hours reading about it, and searching for where I can order it. Sounds just what I need. But can not find a source to order it from. Please tell me where to locate it

Thanks frustrated Judy in AZ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You mean haydite? I was looking for that a while ago & the only way I could figure out to get any was by going to one of the places that makes the stuff (this was in Indiana). I was using a finer grade, which turned out to be somewhat less useful than I expected because of a large proportion of dust, though presumably this wouldn't be a problem with greater than 1/4" material. An easier-to-obtain material similar to haydite is turface, which also has very low dust content even at the smaller grades. Basically, haydite is expanded fired shale, turface is expanded fired clay; the only observable difference is that haydite is darkish grey whereas turface is light brown. I've ordered turface online through hummert.com ; you might also be able to get it locally at places that cater to lawn maintenance & landscaping people. It's most often used in baseball fields & the like in order to provide a well-draining & non-compressing base for turf.

Patrick Alexander

    Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 12:08PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™