Apricot oleanders on CA medians?

jmegchel(7 NM)October 1, 2004

When I was in California last summer, oleanders were in bloom everywhere. I noticed them on the highway medians particularly. One, an apricot one, that was very full and didn't seem to be as tall as a lot of the others, caught my eye. I went to a nursery and found out what it was, but I have lost my notes. Can anyone give me the name or the name of a nursery that could mail one or more to me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toyon(USDA 9b/Sunset 14 CA. (Sacram)

It is called "Apricot."

When I worked in a Nursery I think I was ordering them from Hines, Monrovia, or Villiage Nurseries. I didn't see this selection on any of their current availability lists. It really didn't sell well because it is a dwarf variety. Most people out here use oleanders for screening the perimeter of large lots.

Bookmark   October 25, 2004 at 5:26AM
irisgirl(Z5 - CO)

PEOPLE!!
Think twice - three times - MORE!
The flowers, the leaves - ALL are poisonous to many small mammals. The wood and even the smoke from the burning of the wood is POISONOUS to adults, children, pets...
These plants do not belong in the urban environment ANYWHERE!!

Bookmark   November 11, 2004 at 9:39PM
youreit

There are plenty of toxic plants out there - philodendron, calla lily, English ivy, daffodil, geranium, hyacinth, foxglove, azalea, along with oleander.

The trick with kids is - don't keep the plants within reach in the house, if at all; and talk to your kids at a reasonable age about what's considered common sense (i.e., don't eat plants). If the child is too young to understand such reasoning, then he/she is probably too young to be outside unsupervised, anyway. When I was young, I didn't go around sampling things in the yard to see how they tasted. My mom grew rhubarb for pies, but I never cared to try the leaves that she said could kill me.

Re: pets - I would worry more about them licking up anti-freeze dumped in the driveway than I would about one of them eating the oleander. Before my shrub died (long story), my cat used to rub up against it while I stood vigilant. She never did try to eat it. Who knows? Maybe some would, but I tend to put trust in animal instincts.

Happy (safe) gardening!

Brenda

Bookmark   November 24, 2004 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Killing palo verde
I apologize to those of you who cannot grow these....
rodoehoho
Please HELP tree selection and questions?
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally start my gardening...
black-thumbs
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™