Best sand for sandboxes?

gotjAugust 29, 2005

I'm putting together a sandbox for our kids, and I'm wondering what the best sand to use is. Ideally, I'd like something that is:

ÂSoft, pleasant to the touch

ÂMoldable, for building castles, etc.

ÂLow-dust

I understand there may be tradeoffs among these three, but I'm looking for the best overall solution.

I've had some dealers here locally recommend mason's sand (sometimes referred to as brick sand, I believe). Another said that mason's sand is too dusty, and recommended concrete sand.

We need about one ton of it, so I'll probably go with someone who can deliver (as opposed to buying it by the bag at Home Depot, etc.).

(We have a mesh cover to let water in but keep leaves, cats, etc. out. And I'll line the bottom with landscapring cloth.)

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spunky_MA_z6(Boston)

I like beach sand the best. Builders sand is very course and kind of hurts.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 8:24PM
laurk(4NY)

If you can get beach sand I'd think that would be the best. We have mason sand in our sand box and it works great. It is a bit dusty at first, but the first soaking rain seems to stop that. It's REALLY cheap too especially if you have a pick-up, which is good since it washes away slowly and you'll need to refill it every 2-3 years. Our children have a ball in the sand box- and next year we're expanding it from 6x6 to 12x8 so the boys will have more room for their tunnels and roads and volcanos.

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 9:03AM
gotj

Thanks for the replies, folks. This may be a dumb question, but where do you get beach sand? Do you go to the beach and take it (doesn't seem like a good idea)? Or can you buy it?

I think we'll have to have whatever we get delivered, since we don't have easy access to a pickup truck.

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 9:56AM
sunny_wells_comcast_net

actually, the best sand to use for a sand box is one that has NO dust or fine crystalline. These are known carcinogenics for children and is the primary reason you don't see sand at any playgrounds anymore. Places like Home Depot and Lowe's and even Toys-r-us carry sand that has been washed, screened and dried and is free of dust so it is the safest for your children to play in. We bought the Quikrete playsand from Lowe's and it has worked great! I wet it down before letting my kids play in it and they will generally play in it for hours! If it's an especially warm day, than I wet it down multiple times/ day. Beach sand is going to have a lot of contaminates in it and Masonry sand is going to have a lot of dust, so I wouldn't recommend either of those.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 10:25AM
bobthebuilder10010

"actually, the best sand to use for a sand box is one that has NO dust or fine crystalline. These are known carcinogenics for children and is the primary reason you don't see sand at any playgrounds anymore. Places like Home Depot and Lowe's and even Toys-r-us carry sand that has been washed, screened and dried and is free of dust so it is the safest for your children to play in. We bought the Quikrete playsand from Lowe's and it has worked great! I wet it down before letting my kids play in it and they will generally play in it for hours! If it's an especially warm day, than I wet it down multiple times/ day. Beach sand is going to have a lot of contaminates in it and Masonry sand is going to have a lot of dust, so I wouldn't recommend either of those."

http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/MSDS-B4-Playsand.pdf educate yourself sunny_wells_comcast_net before telling people to buy products that are just as dangerous and 5x as expensive. If your supper concerned about buying from a sand pit just wash the sand before placing it in your sandbox, and wet down the sand every time they play so the partials don't become air borne. PS even though crystalline silica is dangerous i don't think any kid is going to play long enough to have serious health conditions from it unless you live where its windy all the time, and sand is all around you ex: Sahara Desert...

Bookmark   March 16, 2015 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
seeds for the late starter
Hi Everyone, It has been so long since I have posted...
olympicmeadow
Avocado tree?
is this a avocado tree? I'm sending some pictures....
Markchauvin1969
Avacado Seeds
I am trying to grow an avacado plant in a glass of...
Daniel Fry - 10 b
Cute site for kids!
Hi forks, DD's teacher sent us to this site beestar...
yvonnemommy
Sunflower house
I originally posted this on the Garden Experiments...
samhain10
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Alfred Shaheen Dark Blue/Grey 5
Home Depot
Sand Medallion Giclee Shade 8/17x8/17x10 (Spider)
$89.99 | Lamps Plus
Tipsy Wineglass - Set of Four
$34.99 | zulily
Slice Wall Sconce
Lightology
Children & Parents at Play Bronze Sculpture
Overstock.com
Peace Etched Red Wine Tumblers
Classic Hostess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™