Best sand for sandboxes?

gotjAugust 29, 2005

I'm putting together a sandbox for our kids, and I'm wondering what the best sand to use is. Ideally, I'd like something that is:

ÂSoft, pleasant to the touch

ÂMoldable, for building castles, etc.

ÂLow-dust

I understand there may be tradeoffs among these three, but I'm looking for the best overall solution.

I've had some dealers here locally recommend mason's sand (sometimes referred to as brick sand, I believe). Another said that mason's sand is too dusty, and recommended concrete sand.

We need about one ton of it, so I'll probably go with someone who can deliver (as opposed to buying it by the bag at Home Depot, etc.).

(We have a mesh cover to let water in but keep leaves, cats, etc. out. And I'll line the bottom with landscapring cloth.)

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spunky_MA_z6(Boston)

I like beach sand the best. Builders sand is very course and kind of hurts.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 8:24PM
laurk(4NY)

If you can get beach sand I'd think that would be the best. We have mason sand in our sand box and it works great. It is a bit dusty at first, but the first soaking rain seems to stop that. It's REALLY cheap too especially if you have a pick-up, which is good since it washes away slowly and you'll need to refill it every 2-3 years. Our children have a ball in the sand box- and next year we're expanding it from 6x6 to 12x8 so the boys will have more room for their tunnels and roads and volcanos.

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 9:03AM
gotj

Thanks for the replies, folks. This may be a dumb question, but where do you get beach sand? Do you go to the beach and take it (doesn't seem like a good idea)? Or can you buy it?

I think we'll have to have whatever we get delivered, since we don't have easy access to a pickup truck.

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 9:56AM
sunny_wells_comcast_net

actually, the best sand to use for a sand box is one that has NO dust or fine crystalline. These are known carcinogenics for children and is the primary reason you don't see sand at any playgrounds anymore. Places like Home Depot and Lowe's and even Toys-r-us carry sand that has been washed, screened and dried and is free of dust so it is the safest for your children to play in. We bought the Quikrete playsand from Lowe's and it has worked great! I wet it down before letting my kids play in it and they will generally play in it for hours! If it's an especially warm day, than I wet it down multiple times/ day. Beach sand is going to have a lot of contaminates in it and Masonry sand is going to have a lot of dust, so I wouldn't recommend either of those.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Chemically treated lawn OK for kids play?
My garden was and is lush green all thru the fall and...
saly
Easter Egg Plant
Does anyone know if this plant is poisonous? Its in...
sarahbarah27
Help with school project
I work in 9 different schools running Girl Scout troops...
Cyla
Can anyone identify this plant???
I think it may be a chinese evergreen. I am obviously...
dragonlilly
seeds for the late starter
Hi Everyone, It has been so long since I have posted...
olympicmeadow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™