Synthetic or Organic Fertilizer/feeding

compumomAugust 9, 2003

Hi, first time on this forum. I heard Paul James' show today and he was distinguishing between organic and synthetic feeding of the garden. He showed a compost "tea" that he made to revitalize old plants that had too much salt in the soil from "synthetic" foods. What are they?

Is Miracle Grow organic or synthetic? etc.

Thanks in advance!

ellen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
compumom

Sorry, I thought I was posting on the education forum. I would still appreciate any help!

Bookmark   August 9, 2003 at 2:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trudi_d

This is the education forum. It's a good question. You can find out about compost tea in the FAQs at the Organic forum. The info there is quite well written, the FAQ editor is very keen on compost tea.

Basically Compost tea is made by steeping compost in water, let it steep for a few days and you have it. There are many ways to make it, soome complicated and some very simple. CT can be applied as a soil drench of foliar feed. It works by spreading the beneficial microbes of compost throughout the garden.

As to salt in synthetic ferts? Yes they exist, but you don't need compost tea to flush them from the soil. Some good hosings will do that. The CT will initiate some growth in the way vitamins help the body. My own opinion is that CT is not a food but rather a nutriative amendment. Like going to the Dr and getting a shot of B12 or getting your vitamins from a fruit or vegetable which is more substantive than a one-a-day.

That's actually a good analogy for synthetic and natural ferts. A synthetic fert is a like one-a-day for plants. Think of how you feed your own children. Do they eat crappola junk food and you supplement their health with a fred flinstones vitamin, or do you give them sensible foods and lots of fruits and veggies that are the mainstay of their health? The child that gets a good diet with natural nutrient sources is going to stave off malnutrition and disease far better than a child who eats crap and takes a vitamin supplement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing Seedlings and a Simple Explanation of N-P-K

Bookmark   August 15, 2003 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
whoops ! avo seed placed wrong way
Hi this little avo was placed in the water upside down,...
roksee
sunflower seed planting help!
So I planted sunflowers with my kids from the $1 buzzy...
chanale
Help with school project
I work in 9 different schools running Girl Scout troops...
Cyla
HELP. How do I fix this?
Hello fellow gardeners. I'm not a gardener, I'm a kid...
ryguy1031
Cute site for kids!
Hi forks, DD's teacher sent us to this site beestar...
yvonnemommy
Sponsored Products
Web Vanilla Wallpaper R1703, sample
Walls Republic
Avenue Stripe Multi-Colored Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$85.95 | Bellacor
Classic Palm Outdoor Rug
$239.00 | FRONTGATE
Bella Dining Chair Outdoor Patio Set of 2 in White
$398.00 | LexMod
Silver Finish Glass Bottle Lamp With Cream Linen Shade
ParrotUncle
Hampton Bay Black Linear Floating Power Feed EC703BK
$7.18 | Home Depot
Safavieh Hand-knotted All-Natural Horizons Gold Hemp Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
CHF Industries Garden Flowers Tiered Kitchen Curtain - One Pair - 1Z400003GR
$17.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™