What variety of raspberry for NM?

julieabNovember 15, 2007

I am about to plant raspberries in a composted, wind sheltered area of my yard. The ground is good, after having been the compost heap for a few years. Now comes the big question; what variety of raspberry will survive the heat of the Albuquerque area (zone 6-7)and the relentless sun? I have some sprinklers pointed in that area, ready to go, so water will not be a problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flattie

Might want to search for native raspberries of NM.

Bookmark   November 18, 2007 at 1:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

My guess is that any type would do well under the conditions you've created... I've seen quite a few healthy raspberry patches in some hot places, but mine are along the north side of the house in an area that is not as hot as Albuquerque. It would be very interesting to look into NM native raspberries as Flattie said, the red raspberry grows everywhere in the Sangre De Cristo mountains, and I've read that blackcaps (black raspberry) are native to NM as well. Blackberries also do incredibly well here with enough water.

Oh yeah, there's that raspberry farm down there in Corrales, maybe you could give them a call. Good luck!

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Roses for a small space that can take the heat, zone 7b
Any suggestions? We have room for a couple of new roses, in...
Theresa McHarney
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
plant ID
Hi, A friend of mine is trying to identify the plant...
alexander3_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™