Lavender like plants..

buckster(z8)November 13, 2004

Howdy,

I'm looking for plants that are alot like lavender. Something that blooms in late May and June and can be used to make wreaths and crafts. I really want stuff that is drought tolerant. I'm zone 8 So. Cal.

Thanks a ton,

Bucky

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

Are you looking for other plants that require the same conditions or plants that 'Look' like lavender? I don't understand the question I guess....

Vera

Bookmark   November 17, 2004 at 9:37PM
mesquiteent(z6b WestTX)

You might try gray santolina, AKA lavender cotton. Not a lavender, but has gray-ish foliage, and little yellow flowers. I never planted one until last year, so I'm not sure when it's supposed to bloom. It's drought and heat-tolerant, too. I have heard that planting it around your house will keep the flies away, but I don't know if that's true. If you look in almost any herb book, it will have info about santolina, and may even have something about using it in crafts.

Hyssop did well in my hot, dry climate last year, and I think it bloomed at the right time for you. It's an herb, also. Has pretty purple-ish flowers. You can use it in all kinds of crafts. Rosemary may not bloom when you like, but it's a great plant that takes alot of heat and drought. Smells heavenly, too. For others that do well in an arid climate, and that have decorative uses, you might also check out garden sage, white sage, anise-hyssop, lion's tail (doesn't look like lavender, but heat and drought tolerant and has awesome orange spikey flowers that dry well), curry plant, and Mexican tarragon. I'm not sure if any of this is what you had in mind; hope it helps a little:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray Santolina

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 8:45PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Hmmm...you know Germander sage, Salvia chamaedryoides might be a good choice? So would chaparral sage, Salvia clevelandii?

Just a couple of suggestions to add to the nice ones you've already received.

Let us know what you decide.
Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   January 25, 2005 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
Killing palo verde
I apologize to those of you who cannot grow these....
rodoehoho
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
Myoporum Parvifolium
Help me please! I am new to this! I live in Southern...
kinkers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™