Please help me: transitioning to fall vegetables in class garden

capatlAugust 26, 2011

Hi,

I am loving my gardening 'challenges.'

Some background: I am a Pre-K teacher and summer camp teacher with school age kids. We planted in the spring in a slightly raised bed, cabbage, lettuces, and radishes. At the end of the school year we pulled everything, lightly tilled, and planted veggies. This year is the first time I have gardened and I have been pretty much on my own (no others teachers have shown much interest.)

This past summer we successfully harvested numerous cukes, green beans, corn, and tomatoes. We lost squash, zukes, and pumpkin to SVB's...though we put up a good fight, lol. Nothing like learning the life cycle of insects with SVB's...can't get more 'hands-on' than removing larva from stems, hunting eggs, and trying to catch that dreadful moth!

We are ready to pull cukes, peppers, old corn stalks, toms, and green beans. We have empty spaces from squash and pumpkins. However, we have a decent handful of cantaloupes, and 2 watermelon still ripening. Luckily the cantaloupes are happily trellised along our chain link fence.

For fall, I want to plant broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and just a few radishes.

My question is...should I do anything to 'amend' the soil before planting for fall? Should we add some compost and/or manure? What kind? Or should we add some type of fertilizer and then after the fall harvest add some good stuff in preparation for spring? I think I read somewhere that there is some type of micro-organisms we can add to kill any possible SVB larvae? The same soil/dirt has been there since this past winter. Because it is on a portion of our playground, there are quite a bit of wood chips in the garden. We are having a blast and kids and I both learning so much everyday. Maybe too much...ignorance was bliss, lol. Now that I know more, I want to make sure we do whatever we can to keep our garden happy.

Thanks so much for your input!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magz88(5a - Central Ontario)

What did you end up doing?

It would really depend on what you were growing in the fall as to weather you would want to add more amendments.

You most likely would have heavily amended the soil for tomatoes and cukes so I wouldn't bother adding more for the items that you listed.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Flower seeds that can be sown now
Are there any flower seeds besides marigolds that young...
pippi21
Cute site for kids!
Hi forks, DD's teacher sent us to this site beestar...
yvonnemommy
pen pal ?
I know this is a little off topic, but my son, 10 (11...
stormy_weather
Help with school project
I work in 9 different schools running Girl Scout troops...
Cyla
help I am a new behaviorally and emotionally handicapped teacher
Hello, As my title explains, I am a new teacher of...
bellblue
Sponsored Products
Turkish Luxury Collection 700 GSM 6-piece Towel Set
Overstock.com
Flos | Belvedere Spot Single F1 LED Outdoor Path Light
$995.00 | YLighting
Trellis Hearts Giclee Glow Black Bronze Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Source Outdoor St. Tropez All Weather Wicker Dining Bench - SO-046-73
$596.25 | Hayneedle
Le Corbusier LC2 Style Armchair-Brown - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Kas Rugs Blinds & Shades Classic Tile Works Multi 7 ft. 7 in. x 10 ft. 10 in.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™