Mexican Bird of Paradise

terreeves(9)November 28, 2012

Hello - I have several mexican bird of paradise shrubs with beautiful yellow flowers that I planted a year ago. I can't find any information on when I should start pruning them to tree form. They are all between 3 and 5 feet high now and each have several trunks. Should there be all these separate trunks for a tree? I don't know how to make them into nice bushy trees and looking on google has not helped me. Right now they are not very bushy. For example, the tallest plant has a single 5 foot long stem. I am using them as a screen. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

I've never seen one of these with a true tree form. This plant will not form thick, 'bushy' growth, as it has more of a 'light', 'feathery', or 'lacy' form. Maybe this is why you've had trouble finding info on shaping it.

But to answer your question, you can prune it during the winter, which will cause it to branch out more the next summer, although it will never form a thick screen like so many other trees/shrubs.

Sorry this particular forum is so dead, you might try the Arizona forum for some more help...

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
plant ID
Hi, A friend of mine is trying to identify the plant...
alexander3_gw
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™