Near record size cottonwood in Albuquerque

fabaceae_nativeDecember 21, 2010

Not too much action on this forum lately... I hope this generates some... :)

Has anybody seen the giant tree along the Griegos Ditch right in Albuquerque? Apparently it came pretty close to being a national record a few years back, but apparently there is a tree in Farmington, one in Texas, and another (the biggest of all) in Arizona that all got more points in the rating system. Maybe I'll check this local out next time I'm in town...

Any other notable plant specimans around that we should know about (the date palm along Central is one of my favorites)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

I'm going to be in the Alb. area in a week or so, I'm going to find this tree!

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 9:50AM
desertlvr

Where is the date palm on Central? I'll have to check it out when I'm in town next week. We have a couple of true date palms at our place in a protected location in Mesilla, NM (just west of Las Cruces), but I didn't think they could survive an Alb. winter without protection.

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 2:49PM
fabaceae_native

Yeah, Albuquerque is apparently a lot milder than some people think (see all the posts over the years regarding Albuquerque palms, olives, saguaros, and climate data)

The date palm is growing in the Nob Hill area against the wall on the north side, and is very visible from the street. It's been mentioned on posts from a couple years back, and the location might be given there, but I'm so unfamiliar with the street names that I don't want to attempt a guess. It's really not much to look at, but very cool just because it's there and gets no protection, or any other care from what I can tell. I wonder how much dieback it is experiencing right now with the arctic blast (low of 8 degrees last night in Albuquerque).

By the way, if you ever see it, maybe you could verify if it is really a true date palm, or in fact a canary island date palm. People on this forum have thought both.

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
If anyone's growing Black Sapote, Tejocote, or Copao...
I am interested in seeds or small rooted cuttings. I...
ansarac
Please HELP tree selection and questions?
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally start my gardening...
black-thumbs
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™