Reminders of last Feb anyone? It's COLD!

fabaceae_nativeDecember 5, 2011

OK, it's not nearly as bad as last Feb, so far. But a HIGH of 17 today with -4 predicted tonight where I live is pretty awful this early in the season. To make matters worse, the snow amounts the forecasters have been promising since Friday have not materialized outside of a few places.

I guess we should get used to all this though, as for the next 20 or 30 years the Pacific Ocean is expected to remain in a cool phase, with La Nina winters more the norm. Even though overall these winters are mild for us in the Southwest, they bring bouts of record cold as well. And of course the drier conditions are not exactly welcome right about now.

Anyone out there re-thinking their zone designation? I'm definitely more conservative since last winter, and probably won't gamble with borderline species, unless I can provide an ideal microclimate or some winter protection. I'm thinking about a greenhouse or some high tunnels in order to grow some borderline fruits.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

We got down to 5 last night. Yeeeoow, for here it's cold! Supposed to be windy tomorrow so we'll have some major windchill.
I always plant stuff that can survive one zone colder than where I am. So now I go for z.7 plants and haven't lost anything that I've put in. I don't zone push, it'll eventually catch up with you.
I am worried about my 3 agaves that survived the Big Freeze of '11. We had some good rains several days ago and everything had a good drink. We really needed the water but now with this cold I'm hoping the agaves will be OK.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 12:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Yeah, I hear you about being cautious in terms of zone designations. We had -7 Monday night where I live... I'm still a zone pusher, and I've got plenty of things in the ground that are rated to zone 8 and 7 that made it through our -23 low last February, however, I'm much less willing to take a gamble now.

I wish I could say that February's record lows won't happen again, but with this early December cold snap, I'm starting to believe forecasters who expect some extreme bouts of cold continuing over the next couple winters.

Good luck with your agaves!

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
Rsidential rock screen
HELP. I have an older home. I live in the high desert...
rodoehoho
large cactus and yuccas hardy in Idaho
I just planted 25 Yucca faxoniana that are 15' tall...
matsukaze
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Olivia Life Style Collection Red Multi 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Muuto | Leaf Floor Lamp
$399.00 | YLighting
33" Polished Marble 70/30 Offset Double-Bowl Farmhouse Sink - Chiseled Front
Signature Hardware
Benton Distressed Bronze One-Light Bath Fixture
$568.00 | Bellacor
Garvey Table Lamp by Arteriors
$648.00 | Lumens