Weed Barriers

magdelenaApril 5, 2009

I searched the SFG forum for weed barrier discussions, got a list of results but every time I tried to view a result, I would get a messages saying:

"Whoops!

I couldn't find that message, but there are plenty more in the Square Foot Gardening Forum.

You also might want to look at the complete list of GardenWeb Forums.

Or, search the entire GardenWeb site for:"

What's with that? I can't view anything from a search of the SFG forum.

I am desperate to figure out what weed barrier to use on top of Zoysia before I put down my boxes and soil. I don't want to use plastic or a Dupont made barrier. I want to use something sustainable, something organic, something that's not bad for the earth in it's manufacturing and use - something that's healthy for the food I want to grow on top of it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kellynola(9)

Hello. I just flattened some cardboard boxes to lay under my beds. It has worked well for me. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 6:31PM
avalonna

I also used cardboard, but I'm new to SFG and raised beds. I figured the grass would die, but the roots of the veggies would be able to penetrate the cardboard by the time they got that long. I have used cardboard as mulch in my vegetable garden with great success.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 6:44PM
pthomas453

I have been getting the error message on a lot of my searches as well. I think there was some corruption on the hard drives of the server. I haven't found any official post but I haven't looked to hard either.

Back to weed barrier. I put it down under my beds and about 3 feet around the border. I will put a chicken wire fence around the edge of the barrier to help keep critter out. I did not have any card board but I have crab grass and had the barrier cloth so put it down. I think next spring I will cut down in to it to let the worms in.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 9:00PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

There's a problem with GW this weekend. They have been putting tech updates in red lettering about the list of messages. Should be fixed Monday.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 3:20AM
farmboy66

put down cardboard from dumpster last fall from work ,covered with a foot of chopped yard leaves,put boxes over this barrier,scratched leaves back this spring cardboard now is cosistancy of milk soaked cereal,worms will have an easy path by warm weather to munch in my raised bed,would recomend poking holes in cardboard now if this system used now,remove packing tape,i used brown cardboard dont know if colored would hurt or not,will use municipal mulch from city for 3 foot pathways its FREE!!may screen out finer mulch particles for mulch in my beds its aged in town waste area all fall n winter,probaly add a lil n to counter act breakdown of this compost itll rob u of n then give it back,im having a ball thinking all this out n trying to b frugal,my ag background is paying off dad would b proud!

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 8:54AM
crewel2bkind(Z6 SEPA)

Regarding the search results, change the URL from "forums2" to "forum" to see any posts you'd like to read.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
Filling my raised bed
Ok, I'm new to gardening but am planning on constructing...
Matt Cauwels
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Sponsored Products
Tile Redi Shower Bases Redi Base 40 in. D x 60 in. W. Barrier Free Shower Base
Home Depot
SLV Lighting | Rusty Cone Outdoor Bollard
$330.00 | YLighting
Garage Flooring Accessories: G-Floor Garage Flooring 8 ft. x 22 ft. Coin
$1.93 | Home Depot
Window Curtains Lined from DiaNoche Designs by Jennifer Baird - Flight of Color
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Trains & Trucks Personalized Growth Chart Decal
$21.99 | zulily