What Flowers to Plants?

faheemk786December 13, 2012

I have a few questions? I need help planting flowers that can thrive in the hot weather of Sacramento. I already have plant roses, California poppies, morning glories and they are doing very well but I wanted to try to plant something new. I was thinking oleanders? I was also thinking of planting trees. I already planted a Chinese pistache. Any other suggestions of perennials or trees that will thrive in the Sacramento region? Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

I think you should cross-post this to not only the CA gardening forum, but also the Landscapers forum. Bahia (screen name for David Feix who is an amazing professional out of San Jose) can make up a list of appropriate plants for you almost right off the top of his head. His succulent landscapes are fabulous: colorful and water-thrifty, way beyond dull cacti. You should do a search: he often posts photos of his recent projects, and they are always spectacular.

I love oleanders but watch out for the Glassy-winged sharpshooter, which has devastated entire stretches of oleander plantings in Southern and Central CA. It's why Caltrans no longer plants oleanders on median strips, since the GWS also attacks vineyards.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
Rsidential rock screen
HELP. I have an older home. I live in the high desert...
rodoehoho
Roses for a small space that can take the heat, zone 7b
Any suggestions? We have room for a couple of new roses, in...
Theresa McHarney
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™