Container Plants for kids

ccoupkir(z5 Il)December 13, 2005

Hi All, I'm new to this forum (seem to spend all my time in the winter sowing forum) but hope you will all give me some help. A close friend has just moved into a condo with a large balcony. She has a 6 year old daughter who has told her that they "must plant flowers"! I have been trying to come up with some good ideas for kids that can be planted in containers. So far I have cherry toms, lamb's ears, B. Buttons, poppies, morning glories and Teddy Bear sunflowers. Any and all suggestions from those of you on this forum would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for things that will stimulate all senses including touch. Thanks in advance!

Cheryl ::]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Marigolds are easy, but the little girl might not like the smell. Also, if they planted a succulent, she could learn about different plants' water needs.

Bookmark   December 18, 2005 at 9:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherine_nm

She may still be able to find some spring bulbs (tulips, dafodils, etc). My first year with a balcony, I planted bulbs quite densly in large (plastic) pots, let them collect snow over the winter, watered when they were dry (I was in Albuquerque that year, very dry in winter), and was rewarded with lots of flowers in the spring. But they need to be planted soon, as those bulbs need a chilling period.

I also have planters with violets and pansies in them in the spring. My kids have a Pooh book where Pooh and his friends plant little gardens and Piglet grows pink pansies. My DD (age 4 now) insisted on having pink pansies last spring. Unfortunately, our planters are out in front of our house, and deer wander through the yard and eat pansies like candy. I planted them 3 times before they lasted more than a couple of days.

Good luck to your friend and her daughter

Catherine

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
Sunflower house
I originally posted this on the Garden Experiments...
samhain10
pen pal ?
I know this is a little off topic, but my son, 10 (11...
stormy_weather
Science fair project
I am a 5th grader working on a science fair project....
kayla47
Can anyone identify this plant???
I think it may be a chinese evergreen. I am obviously...
dragonlilly
Gopher eradication in school garden
I am wondering what your feelings are on this issue....
azherbboy
Sponsored Products
Silk Boston Fern with Wood Wicker Basket
Overstock.com
Fine Art Lamps Brighton Pavillion 304640ST Six-Light 43'' Wide Grand Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Thomas O'Brien Allium Hand Knotted Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Agave in Glass Dish - Set of 3
Home Decorators Collection
Red Carpet Studios Cosmix Reverse Acrylic Small Spinner - 30991
$14.99 | Hayneedle