Garlic crop rotating?

disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)April 24, 2009

I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a little worried, but to my amazement they all came up beautifully. I want to do more next fall, but am very limited with full sun area's (I have ALOT of full size tree's). I got a bunch of free white cedar picket fencing from my step-father, so I want to make more raised beds. The fencing is about 20yrs old, but looks to be in very good shape. I was thinking I could fit 2 bed's total, 12'long x 4' wide. I was thinking 1 bed full of garlic per year would be enough for my family. I did 8" spacing of my garlic planted last fall and I would go 6" spaing from now on.

So because I am limited in space for rotating, 1 year a bed is garlic and the following year put herbs in the bed and switch my garlic to the second bed? Or maybe do garlic 2 year's in a row than switch and grow herbs the same bed?

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snibb(Salt Lake City)

disney..I dont know if this answers anything for you, but, if it were me, I would plant 9 garlic plants per square. Then, I always follow the basic rotation of fruit/root/leaf. If you plant a root(garlic), you then would follow that with either a leaf(ie spinach, lettuce, etc.)or a fruit(beans, broccoli, tomato, etc). So, you then get this natural pest control, and you get a good and safe rotation per each square foot...just an idea

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 6:30PM
lowraine

I planted garlic in my sfg this week, this is my first year, my garlic came from the grocery store, was that ok?

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 11:30PM
snibb(Salt Lake City)

It should be just fine

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 11:57PM
Lisabeth Olson

If it wasn't sprayed to keep it from sprouting.

Bookmark   February 11, 2015 at 8:19AM
disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)

I'm suprised this post I had started got bumped back up. For store bought, I actually planted half of my garlic this fall 14 with organic hardneck garlic I had bought at my local store. Sprouted no problem for me.

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 10:08AM
charlieboring

I agree with snibb regarding crop rotation. But since garlic is a great companion plants for Tomatoes or Eggplant, I suggest you consider planting garlic in the front squares and Tomatoes and/or Eggplants behind it during the same season.

Bookmark   March 16, 2015 at 5:49AM
More Discussions
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
What to put in the bottom of 12" high boxes??
Hello all, I am doing my first SFG this year. I live...
Deck Pros
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Experiment - Soilless mixture for raised beds
This is my first post to the GardenWeb Forums. I have...
Jacques
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
Sponsored Products
Tech Lighting | Sprocket Head
$132.00 | YLighting
WAC 2700K 40 Degree Black LED Track Head for Juno Tracks
Euro Style Lighting
Chemist's Table Lamp, Dark Bronze
Cost Plus World Market
Hinkley 21 1/2" High Shell Low Voltage LED Landscape Light
Lamps Plus
Halo 6 in. Recessed Adjustable Eyeball Trim 78AC
$50.68 | Home Depot
Manola 72" Double Wall-Mounted Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Espre
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™