my terrarium, updated

dfourer(z5 Chicago)January 23, 2005

My terrarium, with new plants, more growth. Go to this link. If you have a dial-up modem it will take a while to load.

http://home.comcast.net/~dfourer/terrarium.html

-----David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladybug_guam(z11 Guam)

David:
Thank you for sharing! It's beautifull! Love the set up. In the clay water catcher, you have something that looks like floating aquatic plants, what are they? they sure look cool!
If you want to do something with the back, prop some cork slabs, they look like old trees, last a long time and are very light, that's what I have in mine, and I mounted some orchids and other plants to it.
Ana :)

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 8:56AM
imaginators(z6 KY)

Hi Ana,
I would love to see your terrarium. Especially viewing your Orchids. Do you have a photo posted on this forum.
Theresa

Bookmark   February 5, 2005 at 6:00PM
ladybug_guam(z11 Guam)

Theresa:
go to:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4187535&f=0.

Ana :)

Bookmark   February 20, 2005 at 4:23AM
dasheen(z6a, Ontario)

I love your terrarium. Makes me want to build one. Do you think a 10 gallon long aquarium would be too small to start on? I have this aquarium that I never put fish in, so maybe I should start a terrarium.

Dasheen

Bookmark   March 11, 2005 at 9:20PM
dfourer(z5 Chicago)

Dasheen,
In the last month everything has grown like crazy and filled in the tank. The nice thing is that it's low maintenance. I went away for 10 days and there were no problems. Ten gallons is big enough. My basic advice is this:
(1) You need light, a window or fluourescent lights that are bright. 25watts of fluorescent lighting for a 10-gallon I think. Must be fluourescent type, with a timer.
(2) Don't use a lot of dirt. Just an inch of light potting soil pressed into the bottom, and a little extra here and there.
(3) Decorate with bark, rocks, whatever.
(4) Plant tropical or "house" plants. Small plants will grow fast. Cover the top except for a small opening, to keep the moisture in whenever heat is on in the house.
(5) Water, but don't make it soggy.

Good luck,
David

Bookmark   March 12, 2005 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Starting a Terrascape 5ft now.
I have just commenced a 5ft Terrascape, its been in...
keithgh
Volunteer
I had this little sprout volunteer in another pot....
biinaboo
Terrarium Books?
Hi, I want to start making terrariums, and I was wondering...
JordyS
Where to Buy Miniature Oak Leaf Ficus (Ficus Pumila Quercifolia)?
Hello! I've purchased Ficus Pumila Quercifolia (see...
Jeffrey Schneider
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™