Summer Squash - First Harvest!

marymilkweed(z9 Orlando FL)April 21, 2009

Thanks to this board's help, I'm reaping my first picking of crookneck squash! I planted four seeds to my 4'x4' square bed 44 days ago and I have several squash fruit on each plant. And guess what, not only is this my first time ever growing squash but I had to hand pollinate the flowers! There isn't a bee in this entire neighborhood. I can't believe it worked, but I have maturing fruit to prove it. Now what do I do about the cucumbers?

EG - I don't know if I will come close to your harvest of 50+ of last year, but I will be quite happy to harvest even half of that.

Also, IMP, the tomatoes don't belong in the raised beds unless the beds are given totally over to the tomatoes and they are planted much further apart. I'm in day 45 with my tomato transplants and they are already 3 feet tall and sprawling over everything. I'm growing Celebrity and I was told they were a "bush" tomato. Well, these plants grew out of Mel's Mix like they were on steroids and there is no taming now! The only fertilizer I gave them was seaweed kelp & fish emulsion until this week when I treated them to a high phosphate liquid feeding. The plants are covered with setting fruit so I don't believe they have been push with too much nitrogen. I'm already planning my Fall plantings, all the tomatoes will be in Mel' mix but in 5 to 10 gallon pots with fence wire cages.

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

Mary - good for you! I'd send ya some of my bees if I could, 'cause I know the hand pollination thing is a pain. I hope you get plenty of harvest from the planting, I'm going for more this year. 3 zucchini and 3 crookneck for a 4x6 is gonna be interesting!

EG

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 10:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peel(z6 CT)

Mary, how exciting! I just wanted to say that I grew a Celebrity tomato last year in an SWC and it was no bush plant. It grew to be 7' tall!

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
New to gardening and already disappointed in myself :(
I decided to make a raised bed garden and start growing...
cammie895
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™