Thinking of starting 2 terrariums...
I'm a TOTAL beginner when it comes to gardening, and I've got 2 small aquariums lying around, which I was thinking of maybe turning into terrariums... I haven't positively settled on the idea yet, but I figure if I start asking question, I can start doing some research to see if the idea is actually a good idea :)
I'm sort of thinking having one as a plant only terrarium, and maybe letting the other one have plants and some pillbugs (a.k.a "rolly-pollys"... they aren't technically bugs, but tiny land crustaceans) as pets in it... what do you think? (The research I've done says that they only eat rotting plant matter, so I don't think they'd be much trouble to the plants.)
And if pillbugs aren't a good idea to have with plants, I'll either have plants, or turn the smaller tank into a home for the pillbugs.
Also as far as plants go, I only want plants that are beginner friendly (for obvious reasons, haha) and that don't really need fertilizer or anything like that. -The simpler the setup, the better! :)
I don't mind watering the plants everyday, so they don't have to be succulents if that makes things easier.
Oh, and I don't know if this helps at all, but the usual temperature range for my bedroom year-round is 11-35C more or less.
Anyway, the tanks are slightly different sizes, but here are their dimensions:
The smaller one has a light, but I don't think it's UV. Neither of the tanks would be next to windows, so I'd need a suitable lighting setup.
So my questions are:
1. What plants would be suitable in these tanks? -I don't want to have to replant anything, because it outgrows the tank.
2. Are there any carnivorous plants that would suit? (Obviously this wouldn't be in with the pillbugs!)
2. Is peat moss easy to grow? -My research on the pillbugs said that this is useful in keeping moisture in the soil for them.
3. Could I grow strawberries in one tank? That would be so awesome if I could do that! XD
4. Lastly, do you think I could fit more than one plant each tank, or is there really only enough room for one?
Thanks in advance for the help! :)