Moss ID

Robotguy(9)January 20, 2012

Can anyone help me out?

I found this moss while out xmas tree hunting, and it's become my new favorite micro-plant. It grows naturally in dense clumps, but I've been separating and planting it individually because it looks like tiny trees.

I am guessing it's selaginella because it seems like most moss is some form of selaginella.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

It is not a moss or a selaginella. The moss is that little green stuff growing below the tall plants. These plants COULD be a sedum or even a purslane species or ???
Also moss is not a form of selaginella. Mosses do not really have a vascular system whereas selaginella does.
HERE IS A GROUP OF MOSSES:

AND HERE IS A SELAGINELLA SPECIES OFTEN CONFUSED AS A MOSS but noticed the STROBILI, mosses have capsules.

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 1:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Robotguy(9)

Wow! I was way off. Thanks for the info. I was confused because I keep hearing selaginella kraussiana called "golden clubmoss" etc., but I should know better than to put to much stock in common names.

>The moss is that little green stuff growing below the tall plants.

That really puts things in perspective! Those "tall" plants in the first picture are only about 1cm tall, the moss is about a millimeter, and the whole sphere is only 4cm across.

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Browning fern in powder at bottom of terrarium?
Hi guys, The first week (of 3 months of hainvg the...
tiffanylam38
Terrarium Heating Mat
I'm new to the terrarium world and would like to start...
bradycarnahan
Fungus gnats
Hey everyone, I recently turned a 10 gal aquarium into...
lrn2gro
Small ferns
I'm thinking about starting a terrarium in an old 10...
queenb
moss landscapes under glass
Hi, Although I'm a beginner at bonsai I have been growing...
engwerda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™