My Square foot garden pictures!

rachaelstarrApril 22, 2010

Hi all! I am new to the forum :) I'm Rachael from Orange County, CA and have started my first square foot garden this year, on the patio of our apartment.

I have a 5x2 garden with (from top left) carrots, beets, radishes, green onions, strawberries, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, onions, corn & bell pepper:

A 3x1 garden with peas, beans & a small blueberry bush:

and another 3x1 for tomatoes:

I planted most everything in the large garden March 4th (my beets, carrots & cucumbers are growing VERY slowly... ) and the tomatoes, peas & beans about a month later.

Here is a picture of my first harvest:

and a close up of the blueberries!

Having fun reading all the posts and super excited to tend to and reap the benefits of the garden I've wanted since I would pick (and eat... on the spot..) blackberries in my grandfathers garden as a kid :)

Rachael

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gayriogrower

Well Rachael, you're only about two hours north of me, I'm in San Diego. I like the setup you got at your apartment, I know how much it sucks to have limited yard space, it sucks. But everything looks good, good luck and I wish you bountiful harvests.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 5:04AM
nycynthias(Z6 NY)

What a great garden!! I love seeing how creative people get when using the SFG method, and I especially love the fact that you don't let limited space restrain you from enjoying fresh produce :)

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 8:37PM
socks

Very, very good! Thank you for posting the pictures.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 4:18PM
justplainbeth

gorgeous, just gorgeous! I am envious of your strawberries and blueberries. Just a bit too early here.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 8:16PM
oneill_carol_yahoo_com

Where did you purchase the square foot gardening kit? I live in Orange County and am trying to find where to buy it.
Thanks!

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 6:38PM
floodthelast(5 N. OH)

Lovely gardens. I bought blueberry bushes last year and have them in buckets. I hope to see as many berries as I see in your pics. : ) That radish was cute too. I have considered doing carrots or onions. Can never make up my mind though. I am mostly doing tomatoes and lots of beans this year. : )

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 10:09AM
jfelton(z7 SC)

Nice little garden! It's amazing how much can be grown in a small space, isn't it? About a month ago, I planted radishes, carrots, lettuce, snow peas, and spinach in my cold frame. I planted them directly in bags of soil. So far, so good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Frame Garden Progress

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 6:52PM
coppercurls

It looks great!

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™