Can I grow cabbage next to tomatoes?

southerntransplantApril 27, 2009

This is my first year to try square foot gardening. Based on some of the diagrams in the square foot gardening book, it looks like you can grow cabbage next to tomatoes. However, I've read elsewhere that cabbage (including kohlrabi) should NOT be grown next to tomatoes. Is this true? and if so, how far apart should cabbage/kohlrabi be grown from tomatoes? Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homertherat

You can grow whatever you want wherever you want. As long as the cabbage isn't shaded by the tomatoes, you'll be fine.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:45PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

A link to where it says you can't would be useful to help you sort this out.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 7:10AM
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

I disagree with homertherat. Sorry. This is companion planting, and some plants don't fare well next to one another.

I would google "Companion planting" and specifically, brassicas and tomatoes. I do believe that there is an issue with kohlrabi and tomatoes, and cabbage are related to them...I wouldn't plant them too close, BUT at the same time, the cabbage will be removed before the tomatoes roots really get a chance to spread. BUT, the problem is supposed to be stunted root growth, and since in SFG the roots are already limited in space, you may not want to chance it.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 9:16AM
anniesgranny(6b)

It depends on which website/book you read. I just Googled "companion planting" and got about equal opinions. Some said cabbage shouldn't be planted with tomatoes, some said cabbage and tomatoes were excellent companions. I planted some leftover cabbage seedlings in my tomato bed this year, as I didn't have anywhere else to put them. I guess we'll see if they are compatible or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 11:58AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

My ref is Riotte's Carrots Love Tomatoes 2nd Ed. She says cabbage dislikes toms and like aromatic herbs (pg 8) and tomatoes and brassicas repel each other & should be kept apart (pp 25-26). For many years I have planted carrots and marigolds and garlic with toms.

Dan

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 1:59PM
anniesgranny(6b)

Here are the first four hits I get from Google that actually name the companion plants. The first two say no (with an exception on No Dig), the second two say yes.

Golden Harvest Organics: http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html
Cabbage does not get along with strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, rue, grapes and pole beans.
Keep potatoes and tomatoes apart as they both can get early and late blight contaminating each other. Keep cabbage and cauliflower away from them.
One drawback with tomatoes and carrots: tomato plants can stunt the growth of your carrots but the carrots will still be of good flavor.

No Dig: http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/companion-planting.html
According to this website, cabbage dislikes tomatoes, but tomatoes don't necessarily dislike cabbage.

Organic Gardening: http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s-2-10-108,00.html
Tomatoes and cabbage (as companion plants): Tomatoes are repellent to diamondback moth larvae, which are caterpillars that chew large holes in cabbage leaves.

Garden Guides: http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/vegetables/vcomp.asp
Cabbage Family companions are bush beans, beets, celery, onions, tomato, all strong herbs, marigold, nasturtium
Tomato companions are cabbage, carrots, celery, onion, mint

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 2:28PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Riotte has never steered me wrong. That is my ref for companion plants.

Dan

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™