WANTED: white and pink wisteria

thurston(midTN)September 7, 2008

I have hundreds of named bearded iris to choose from if you have rooted starts of pink and/or white wisteria

Thanks,

Neil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Hey Neil,

There are huge differences in different types of Wisteria. The genus contains about 20 genera and many hybrids and cultivars. They range from monsters that can be difficult to control (both from a vigorous growing and an invasive standpoint) to species and cultivars that aren't even hardy in Tennessee.

Two common types of Wisteria, sinensis and floribunda, are invasive in Tennessee. If you choose these types, you might want to consider a sterile cultivar. They won't add to the invasive problem and will likely put on a better flower display. Wisteria frutescens and macrostachya are well behaved natives that might be better choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: TN-EPPC ... see Wisteria under Rank 2 invasives

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 8:29PM
thurston(midTN)

Hi Brandon-

Thanks for your message. Where and how I grow wisteria, it's easily contained. My current plants I've had for ten years, but I grew up with it.

Neil

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 10:59AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

What species and variety(ies) do you grow / are you looking for?

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 9:23PM
thurston(midTN)

I have a white blooming plant coming from Alabama. Still looking for one with pink flowers.

The ones I have are the common light purple. One came from the garden of an old plantation before it became a parking lot in the 1960's. The other I bought as white from Home Depot. A few years later when it finally bloomed, it was the same color as the one I have. That's why I'm looking for rooted starts of plants that have bloomed.

I tried to post a picture here, but forgot how. It's so easy to post pictures at Davesgarden.com. Wish Gardenweb would make it easier.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 9:58AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

There are a lot of posts on Gardenweb with instructions for posting pics. I will link one below. It's one I picked at random so I'm not sure it's the best (most easily understood) set of instructions, but it looked correct. You can also use one of the Gardenweb Galleries ( http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/galleries/ ). I think there are instructions on those forums, and that may be easier. I have been wanting to type up my own instructions for this and try to make them super simple and straight forward, but haven't taken the time (story of my life).

Here is a link that might be useful: Random Thread Concerning How To Post Pics

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 4:35PM
hlstapp_charter_net

We have White, Purple, and Pink Wisteria. E-Mail me as to what sizes you are looking for, if interested, and how many.
Thanks

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 4:16AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Buddleia alternifolia
Looking for cuttings or a plant in the Middle TN Area....
mercuryman
wanted: haves/wants: etps fall 2010
Posting a link to my exchange list - helps me keep...
tlfox
wanted: free sm/mdm crepe myrtle tree
Just dug up a small/medium Crepe Myrtle from border...
virtsk
have: fall 2010 etps brandon7's list
I may post another updated list closer to swap time,...
brandon7 TN_zone
WANTED: Privacy Plants, Hedges, or Trees Needed
We have a long stretch of property line with a neighboor...
klpzguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™